X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ncbird
    Experienced
    • Jan 5 2008

newby post fyi radiator recore cost

First let me say thanks for all the info I have gleaned off the site and from the talent here. I am restoring my late fathers 60 convertible that has been in the family since 65. I have read with interest the different approaches to the love of the square bird and mine will not be a concours car but rather what I would describe as an "expensive driver" LOL. The body work is all done as well as paint and we are now reinstalling parts. I am going with new replacement wherever possible and that brings me to the radiator. I have seen posts on here about cost and will share my recent recore. I decided to recore since I couldnt find a replacement and we have built the engine up some plus adding A/C. A recore here (NC coast) was either 499.00 for a stock recore or 650.00 for a HP recore. The tank would not take a 4 row (non A/C car) so we went with a 3 row with 5/8ths tubes and additional fins. Our expectation is about a 60-70 % increase in capacity. We used a US made copper core and it came out great but the cost of copper is through the roof. I have learned a lot about sourcing parts and rebuilds and am willing to share for those who may care. fyi... thanks Grant
    Grant
    NCbird on the Coast of NC
    "Dads Bird" for my father
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Wow !!! Sounds expensive. I had a 4 row built a few yrs ago.
    It cost me $250.00
    Granted the guy who owns San Jose Radiator is a long time buddy AND a good wholesale acct of mine. He prob saved me about 100 bucks.

I did notice it put the radiator (slightly) closer to the fan, and it's about an inch and a half wider than stock.
    It helps though.

Comment

• ncbird
      Experienced
      • Jan 5 2008

difference in radiators

Has there been a discussion of different stock radiators. Mine was a non air 352...did a 430 have a larger radiator? or a 352 with air have larger tanks? I was told the tanks were the limiting factor in my recore taking a 3 row vs a 4 row. Grant
      Grant
      NCbird on the Coast of NC
      "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• uhcrandy
        • Oct 3 2006

I have been looking at universal replacement radiators. There are ford radiators at summit and jegs wth the right general size. Has anyone any experiance with these?

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎