X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ncbird
    Experienced
    • Jan 5 2008

picture of elec wiper installed

Here is a picture of the electric conversion installed with the cable etc. Like was posted I bought mine off Ebay with intermittent option and long shaft. Grant

Grant
    NCbird on the Coast of NC
    "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Know what I like most about your electric wiper system, Grant? It doesn't interfere with your new air conditioning unit. Good job, and nice fit! That car will be sweet when its done. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• ncbird
        Experienced
        • Jan 5 2008

thanks

these cars are very compact under the dash as everyone here knows. We have moved alot around to make it all fit since I have hoses going to the center outlet as well as defroster. Thanks for the kind words and as you can see it is much easier with the dash out so if someone is planning on installing aftermarket air I would do the wipers at the same time. If I wasn't going to get up under the dash I would strongly consider a vacuum pump from a diesel pu and a small vacuum canister to provide uninterrupted vacuum to the original motor. Just my thoughts. Grant
        Grant

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by ncbird
          ...If I wasn't going to get up under the dash I would strongly consider a vacuum pump from a diesel pu and a small vacuum canister to provide uninterrupted vacuum to the original motor...
          Grant, I agree. I recognized your hard work right away when I saw the A/C. You're right about not having much room. Like you, I pulled my '55 dash for the A/C and wipers, but I worked under the dash for the '59 Galaxie.

Isn't it easier to install an electric wiper, than to go through all that pump and canister stuff, just to end up with a poor-performance vacuum motor? Hey, I'm all for originality, but this is one of those things you cannot see. Above all, it is a safety feature.

My folks are from PA, but I still don't know how cars climbed mountains without wipers. And snow? Forget it. Its easy to see why all OEM's went to electric, and never looked back.

Grant, what kind of firewall mat is that? Is it something we can buy in rolls? I bought some of that aluminum foil/bubble wrap, but it justy doesn't seem like it would last very long. Especially if anyone pushed on it with their feet. Yours looks more like what I need. - Dave Dare
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• fomoco59
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 10 2005

Whoo boy..Grant, that's the first good look I got at the job it'll be to install elec wiper motor... and me with a bad back... hmmm. May have second thoughts now. I'm not pulling the dash.
            sigpic
            Mike Lemmon
            '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• ncbird
              Experienced
              • Jan 5 2008

whats a little pain for the cause Mike

I dont know how anyone can work underneath the dash with out being a contortionist. When I was younger I fit in all kinds of places but pushing 60 I choose my battles. I agree I wouldnt choose the vacuum if I had the ability to go to electric but with the pump and a canister at least you would have "constant" vacuum. I grew up in Colo and the car is from there so I know all about how to "hesitate" to allow the wiper to clear the windshield. Dave the firewall piece is a firewall insulator made for our cars with the correct curves ect. You can order with what ever holes you need and it comes ready to install and has the correct "grain". I got it and a whole kit for the car from Quiet Ride that included heat and noise mats. Because I knew the old heater etc wasnt going to be used I didnt have them cut out for it and now have insulation behind the A/C.

QuietRide Solutions: Manufacturers of pre-cut, ready to install AcoustiShield thermal acoustic insulation products and Firewall Insulators for antique, classic and custom cars and trucks. The Coolest Cars Have QuietRide Inside!
              Grant

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎