X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramos291
    Apprentice
    • Sep 18 2014

PCV Conversion 61 Tbird

My 61 Thunderbird came with a road draft tube for crank case venting. What have others done to convert the tube. Links, Pictures, recommendations would be great.
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

I used this set up on my '60 for about a year until I changed the engine.

Installed a breather cap with a side tab to connect a hose. Removed the road draft tube and installed a standard air filter breather adapter in a spare air cleaner assembly. Connected it all via hose.

Worked pretty well although it would still have a bit of vapors coming out of the breather cap at idle. You would have maximum vacuum on a true PCV system at idle to remove those vapors - however you have the least vacuum from the low rpms on the engine pulling in air in this case. I think my breather cap was the closed type - a vented/filtered one would have probably worked better. May not even need to connect a hose to it .

On the '60 there is a vacuum port used for the power brakes. Was planning on re-plumbing to that port until the engine died and I installed a rebuilt one from a '64 that already had the PCV ports etc.

Breather cap

Air cleaner breather hose filter

Just used an adapter that would fit where the draft tube went, a T and elbow I found at the parts store to connect it all together.

Hope that helps.....
    Eric

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

Keep your filler cap but replace the draft tube with a cap similar to what Eric suggested, but try to find one with a PCV valve in it such as this one:

I doubt that's an exact fit, but I always check for parts from similar year big block Mustangs. These were produced in large numbers and popular with collectors.

Then from the PCV valve, use a hose to a later model connector to the air cleaner as Eric has suggested.

The PCV valve is nothing more than a check valve, and the most common type is vertical, therefore readily available. If you use a cap like Eric's then you have to use a more expensive type that is only available from the on-line stores.

The '64 TBird uses a PCV valve in a near-horizontal position. Later models used the less expensive vertical.

Comment

• ramos291
        Apprentice
        • Sep 18 2014

thanks for the reply and pics. very helpful link too. Thanks a bunch

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡