No announcement yet.

Ford/Lincoln factory bondo?????

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford/Lincoln factory bondo?????

I'm new to the T-bird bloodline (been a GM guy). I bought a 1960 convertible. As I prepare for restoration, I began sanding down the paint to see how many coats I was facing. In several areas like the round "bullet" area of the door where the Thunderbird emblem goes, I notices "bondo" below the level of the original red primer? From the inside of the doors, both doors, there is no sign of damage of any type. What gives? Did the factory do this? When I have the car stripped to metal do I leave this? Any help appreciated

RE: Ford/Lincoln factory bondo?????

Welcome to the group. Did you happen to purchase that blue t-bird from ebay? If so, that was a great deal!

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

Welcome to the group.

That sounds like an unusual area for filler. There was some filler used on the areas where the sheet panels meet, but this is not a usual place for this.

Some of the other members who have recently stripped down their cars for painting may be able to share their experiences.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• 59thunder
        Experienced
        • Jul 14 2006

gday from australia,, i am doing a total rebuild and i can tell you on my 1959 hardtop when i had the car sandblasted there was no bog! (body filler) in the car but i did find lead filler in the front nose cone area... hope this helps
        :+

Comment

I just finished stripping my fist 59 T-Bird I use aircraft stripper and I think it went very good in most areas one coat did the job,of course I did this out side and yes I found some bondo on the rear fenders and quarter panels I am replacing the panels it is alot of work but I am having a ball and learning alot and the folks on this site have been very helpful.
          Bob M
          Ky.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎