• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuusamon
    Experienced
    • Feb 14 2009

hood release handle location and top/trunk operation

Hello,
    my first post as a newby. This is my first square bird!
    Just purchased a 1960 convertable and some work has to be done. Just got it in today.
    I can't get the hood to open, there are may handles under the dash. tried all of them, but no luck. I might have to help the hood to open when another person pulls the right handle. The only T shaped handle is for the hand brake.
    Does any one has a pic of the hood release handle?
    and/or a pic/layout of the controls? maybe from an owners handbook/manual?
    also how does the trunk open for the top to fold in, what is the correct sequence and controls. Does the trunk only opens electricly or is there a manuel possibility?
    thanks in advance
    regards
    ron
    sigpicGreets,
    Ronald
    Kuusamo
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

kuusamon,
    The hood release is just to the left below the steering column and below the instrument cluster. It may help if you have two other people hold down on the two corners of the hood towards the windshield and pull the handle. Other wise there are two rubber grommets in both front wheel wells behind the front tires. These will need to be pushed out, take a long screw drive and insert in these hole towards the firewall. If you can locate hood release there is a trip lever at the bottom push it back towards dash. Do the same on both sides.
    As far as the trunk I think these are electric solenoids. Someone may be able to help on these.
    P.S.
    Go up to the top of this page and hit search. Hit the show post box and type in convertible trunk opening. Look at previous threads and I'm sure you will find answer.
    Keep me posted if or not you get hood open. And be patience remember she is almost fifty years old!
    Last edited by Guest; February 14, 2009, 12:23 PM. Reason: added comments

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Welcome to Squarebirds, Ron! Thanks for information about your new Tbird. The hood release handle, at least on my '59 is to the right of the brake release. You should see a small T handle. Pulling on that should release the hood. Unless the cable is broken or stuck. There are two round push out plugs inside the hood. One on the drives side and one on the passenger side. You can access them from under the wheel wheels. Once you knock out those plugs, you should be able to get a long screwdriver or rod into the car and push against the hood releases on both sides to open them. Here are some pictures of them. As for the trunk operation, one of the guys who owns a '60 convertible, like byersmtrco, can answer that one.

Here is a picture of the small T handled hood release right below the Oil light. Maybe the handle is missing from your car? If it is, try grabbing the shaft wrapped with something to protect the threads, with a pair of pliers, and try not to grab the threads, and pull on it. The reason why my hood release stopped working was because the little ball at the end of the cable which acts as the stop, broke off and I ended up with a loose cable. It was replaced with a manual choke cable and that did the trick. Your cable might be broken also.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by YellowRose; February 15, 2009, 12:59 AM. Reason: Additional Comments

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• kuusamon
        Experienced
        • Feb 14 2009

Hello,
        thanks for your quick response and nice words, I will let you know on the progress of the project, I will be gentle, indeed a 50 year old lady. Hope to have her back in good shape soon.
        here a link code to the tbirdregistry were the car was already registred, I will update the info there now.Registry Number:1741
        regards
        ronald
        sigpicGreets,
        Ronald
        Kuusamo

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Ron,

I looked at the information on your Tbird on the Registry. Is that a light blue paint job? It looks like it. Does it have a 352 or a 430 engine? Does it, by any chance, have AC? Just wondering. It looks nice!

Now here is some information on how you might get that deck/trunk open. I gather, from what you said, you have no battery in the car yet. If you put one in, you might get the trunk to open. But if I understand, you have not found the top/deck/trunk release on the instrument panel yet. According to the Tbird Restoration Guide 1958-1966 (you should buy that and the 1960 Shop Manual, at least) the top release is on the far right side of the steering column, under the Lighter and the Wiper knobs. You should see a triangular black piece with a T Handle marked Top on it. That is your rear deck/trunk release. To the left of that you should see a light under the Generator light. That light, when lit, tells you that your deck/trunk is ajar.. I am not sure all '60 convertibles had that light. I would have scanned that picture in on Page 72 of the Restoration manual, but my scanner is down. If anyone has that book and can scan it and post it here, it will show Ron exactly where that handle is. The explanation should do the trick though in finding it.

If you have not done so yet, do a search for "convertible trunk", "convertible trunk opening" or substitute deck for trunk, on this forum, you will find information on how to get the deck/trunk to manually release, by knocking out some similar tabs like those up front in the engine well to get to the hood releases. Go through this posts you see once you do that search and you should find helpful information there. Good luck with sorting things out.
          Last edited by YellowRose; February 15, 2009, 01:02 AM. Reason: Additional Comments.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• kuusamon
            Experienced
            • Feb 14 2009

thank you ray,
            yes it is a lite blue/aqua paint job but if I read the date plate color code correctly it probably was black when it came from the factory.
            It has power seats, power windows, power brakes and original black leather interior. No AC though, If I find one I might consider putting it in. It does have a original radio.
            The engine is now a 352 FE, there was a 'wrong' engine in there at least that was what the seller told me, a newer engine from a different ford model and he delivered a 352 engine with this car that I have to overhaul and build in(it originally from the factory had a 352).
            There is some work to be done with this car but I believe that a total restoration might not be necesarry. I can see that the suspension has been done and I will check the rest. In case of doubt I might still restore the whole car.
            I will check and read the date plate and put that info on the tbird registry also.

The shop manual I have already, it came with the car on CD that is, I will order a original copy in print, as well as the original owners operation manual and a restoration guide (by william wonder?? correct?).
            thanks again.
            ron
            Last edited by kuusamon; February 15, 2009, 04:46 AM.
            sigpicGreets,
            Ronald
            Kuusamo

Comment

• kuusamon
              Experienced
              • Feb 14 2009

I have some more info from the date plate.
              Color code is N I thought before that was black but now after searching on the net it probably means diamond blue which is I think, the color now. However the inside wheel wells under the hood are black..
              Trim is 52, trans is 4, axle is 3
              body is 76A
              regards
              ronald
              sigpicGreets,
              Ronald
              Kuusamo

Comment

• JohnG
                John
                • Jul 28 2003

The William Wonder book on restoration is a real wealth of detailed information...

good luck!

john
                1958 Hardtop
                #8452 TBird Registry
                http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                history:
                http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Ron,

Here is some additional information regarding your Tbird. This web page should be a help to you. You can click on various other pages on the left side regarding it. First of all, Paint Code N is Diamond Blue. Trim Code 52 is NOT a original leather interior. If it is leather then someone changed out the interior. Trim Code 52 is MOROCCO GRAIN VINYL BOLSTERS AND INSERTS Dark Blue Bolsters, Light Blue Inserts. It sounds like someone decided to paint the engine well black, for whatever reason. Do you know what engine is in it now? Apparently you got an additional 352 engine with the car?

TRANSMISSION CODES

4 Cruise-O-Matic (3-Speed Automatic) (Required with 430 Engine)

REAR AXLE CODES

3 3.10:1 352 Engine with Cruise-O-Matic

Comment

• fomoco59
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 10 2005

Sounds alot like my old '60 HT (Registry # 17635) Even built the same week. Same exterior/interior colors, which supports some thoughts that similar cars were processed together.
                    Last edited by fomoco59; February 16, 2009, 08:55 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Mike Lemmon
                    '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• kuusamon
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 14 2009

Thanks for all your responses,
                      I just ordered all the needed books, especially the book from William Wonder. On close inspection the car is not in bad shape at all, one part of the body under the passenger door piece needs to be replaced, original keys are missing from the door locks, engine needs to be probably overhauled, it is out of the car anyway, might as well do it, radiator is missing and on the left side under the dash against the side of the car is a misterious black handle that can be moved up or down, does not look like it is original. Also I ordered the Ford parts replacement book to see which parts from other ford cars are interchangable.

The interieur is maybe not original upholstery but its is done nicely and is not damaged at all, has all de folds, stiching etc. like original ford specifications so I expect that when it was still in California it was redone, and its leather.

Thanks and regards,
                      Ron
                      sigpicGreets,
                      Ronald
                      Kuusamo

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Ron it sounds from your last post that the fun is just about to begin. Yes an overhaul of the motor is probably a good idea now, as it is out and also you can take a good look at the engine well, wiring and other areas of concern with no obstructions.Don't forget the tranny while you are at this stage. The best part is seeing the bird come together as " projects" and then the final cruise with the now restored classic. Keep us posted with pixs along the way.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                        Thunderbird Registry
                        58HT #33317
                        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• saverio
                          Experienced
                          • Mar 14 2005

simple fix

Ron,
                          Perhaps a simple procedure will at least get the deck open. If you find the release handle and you pulled on it with no results,try pushing down quickly and with some pressure right at the top corner of the deck on the drivers side. My 60,occassionally hangs up and I push on the deck to release the holding mechanism. Afet that you have to investigate to see what went wrong.
                          Good Luck,

Sal
                          Sal III

60 T BD

Thunderbird Registry # 33126 - VTCI # 11138- CTCI #02521

Comment

• byersmtrco
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 28 2004

Make sure you're getting power to the switch. The car needs to be in Park or Neutral for top to operate. If you need to hold the lever up in Park to start the car, you need to do so again to operate the top.

Pull the switch out to put the top down and push in to put the top up.

Here's a picture of the hood rel/handle & the top sw(on the Rt)
                            Attached Files

Comment

• dgs
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Feb 13 2003

The rear deck screws down to the body via two screw drives at the leading corners of the deck lid. The motor is in the center of the deck lid and there's a flex shaft to a gear box at each leading corner. This drives the screws that thread into receptacles on towers in the corner of the trunk.

If the motor doesn't work, I think the actual procedure is to cut a hole in the rear fender well so you can unbolt the towers and lift the lid. Read your manual. There's a top mechanism manual, but I think all that info is in the regular shop manual.

The '60 mechanism is quite a wonder. Hydraulic pump, 4 cylinders, 2 electric motors, flex shaft drives, gear driven screw tie downs, 10-12 relays and assorted limit switches (give or take). Once it all works, it's real cool.

Scared my Grandfather and he worked the top as little as possible just in case something went wrong.
                              DGS (aka salguod)
                              1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                              www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎