No announcement yet.

No More Radiator Shops???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

No More Radiator Shops???

I have called 5 radiator shops within a 100 miles from me.2 of them where disconnected and the other 3 told me no one repairs radiators anymore.
    Now my question is has anyone ever attempted to solder or braze a small hole in their rad??
    I pulled my rad out thinking I was going to take it somewhere to be fixed.If you read my last post you know I accidentaly knocked a small hole in my rad.(maybe the size of a ball point pen tip)
    At this time I cannot afford to buy a new one (TBird Hqs.doesn't even list a price,you have to call them)
    I love driving the ole girl and I hate to have to look at her sitting in the driveway and the only thing keeping me from showing her off is a pin hole.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

There are no shops in your area that repairs radiators in your area anymore? It is true that the business is changing. The new aluminum and plastic radiators are just replaced rather than repaid. The old one lands in a landfill. Squarebirds are green. New cars are only green in their commercials.

If you want your radiator respired by a company tht specializes in old heater core, expansion tanks and radiators go to www.classicradiator.com .
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

T-Chicken As a big Rig driver have you ask any of the truck repair shops aruond you who might fix the rad.
      Bob M.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

BobM that's a great idea, as the answer may just be a weld torch away??

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

That's a shame. There are repair places all over up here. Just had my rad done last year. New core my tanks I think 250.

Comment

I have at least 2 in a 20-30 mile radius here in NJ. Doubt it would you though, but I can get there # and address if you are interested.

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

I had a local shop build mine. Ordered a four row core and weld my side tanks to it. having a repair done should be no prob.

BTW in the newer veh's w/plastic are throw aways . . . But then so are allot of the newer cars.

Comment

Great idea Bob my mechanic should know someone cause you don't just throw away those 500 lb truck radiators.Thanks all

Comment

Thanks again Bob I was able to find a rad shop in Daytona,thru my local truck parts store,am sending it out on Monday to be repaired.We are having our company Christmas (that's right I said Christmas) party on the 15th and I want to drive her.
                  Merry Christmas all,also Happy Holidays to all of you of other faiths.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎