X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

Air conditioning

Hey everyone, I want to use my air conditioning, but it's not working, the compressor clicks when I turn it on, I want to stick with R12, what process do I need to get it going? Thanks!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

First off you have to find someone that still has R-12. Most places that charge your a/c will only have R-134. I would flush your system out and replace the expansion valve since it's relatively inexpensive. You need to determine if your compressor is ok. Turn the clutch by hand and see if you get both suction and pressure from the ports. Put 12 volts on the wire going into the compressor and see if your clutch engages. Make sure your compressor has the correct amount of oil in it. I would drain any oil out of it and refill with the correct mineral based compressor oil. After that it's just a matter of seeing if the system holds vacuum and recharging it.

John
    Last edited by jopizz; July 13, 2017, 11:13 AM.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
      Experienced
      • May 4 2017

I see on eBay they have a product called maxi-frig it supposed to be compatible with R12 systems, anyone hear about this stuff?

Comment

• tbirdmike63
        Experienced
        • May 4 2017

Boy, I don't mean to sound lazy, but that seems like a lot of work, are there business's that will do all the work for me? I'm in Michigan.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
          Boy, I don't mean to sound lazy, but that seems like a lot of work, are there business's that will do all the work for me? I'm in Michigan.
          If you have enough money you can get anything done. A/C work is not for the novice. You're dealing with pressures that can reach 250 PSI. As for the Max-Frig it sounds good but it's rather expensive compared to R134. I would only use it if I knew my system was in perfect working order.

John

Comment

• tbirdmike63
            Experienced
            • May 4 2017

Yeah, but I can't use r134a, in my system the way it is, I will probably go with R12, but that runs about 100.00 for 3 cans, but if that lasts several years, it would be worth it.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
              Yeah, but I can't use r134a, in my system the way it is, I will probably go with R12, but that runs about 100.00 for 3 cans, but if that lasts several years, it would be worth it.
              You have to make a choice. Either spend the money to upgrade your system to use R134 or buy the more expensive R12 equivalent and hope it doesn't leak or you don't have a part failure where you have to recharge it all over again. At less than $5.00 a can for R134 I think I'd upgrade my system.

John

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎