X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fomoco59
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 10 2005

Gone to a Museum

I've been addicted to this website since Alexander began it (officially becoming a member in '05) and thru the years have read with interest all of the posts regarding altering your Birds from stock. I've been a "purist" since my first Squarebird in '89, but boy have I been tempted to make some changes. Alas, all I've done to this car, my 4th Squarebird, is add Pertronix, and a chrome hood scoop. Just about everything has been rebuilt, but kept the way Ford made it June 19, 1959. It currently has 77k miles.

So, in early May I was contacted by the Northeast Classic Car Museum http://www.classiccarmuseum.org/ thru the AACA asking if I'd be interested in donating my '59 to a new "Nifties Fifties" display in one of their buildings. They rotate cars in and out of this building every one or two years based on various themes. It took me a week to decide but the Grand Opening was last Friday and I was honored to find our car was placed in the center of the room surrounded by some beautiful GM cars.

My point is, if you're trying to keep/refurbish your car original, it can pay off. I've often considered selling it because I don't drive it enough. Even with a completely new drum brake system, sheesh, ya gotta plan ahead.

So now, of course I need another project since I have an empty garage bay. There's a '59 HT nearby I could possibly bring myself to modify if the price is right. I also have the option to bring home a '62 Comet which already has a '67 drivetrain, but it's not a 'Bird. I've had eight TBirds, maybe time for something different. My family thinks so....

Sorry so long-winded...just venting to fellow Squarebirders.

Here are some pics I took at the museum last week.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Mike Lemmon
    '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

That is a SHARP Raven Black '59. You did a great job from what I can see sir. So does this mean u get the Bird back in 1-2 years from the museum?
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

She's beautiful Mike. You did a wonderful job.

Is there anything that you can share about the paint job? Mine is also Raven Black, and new paint is a big item on my wish list.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430
      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• fomoco59
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 10 2005

Yes... one year commitment to the museum, but they are likely to have that display running for two years, so I have the option. Hey, at least it's T&H controlled storage for that long.

As far as the paint, mine is original, except for some trunk and door jamb touchups. I buffed and waxed alot. It could use a paint job in the future as there's some small bubbling starting to appear. But looks pretty good for 49 years!
        sigpic
        Mike Lemmon
        '59 Raven Black Hardtop

Comment

That was a very unselfish thing for you to do Mike,
          I know it will be appreciated by many.
          A lot of people have never seen a Squarebird,I constantly get asked what my car is.Everyone thinks it's the Batmobile
          I hope you'll continue to be part of the forum,your knowledge is invaluable.
          Cheers!

Comment

Ditto - Just a nice work of art. You should be proud and honored!!

Comment

• GTE427
              Super-Experienced
              • Oct 9 2007

Congrats, your TBird will add some depth to that display. Seems like you just posted a picture of the open road coming out of winter storage, love the view looking over the hood from the driver's seat. Glad you've resisted the temptation to deviate from the car's OEM equipment and appearance, I think of your car as a survivor and hope it remains that way. Is that your car on the LFM t-shirt from earlier this year?

Keep up the good work.
              Ken
              1959 J Convertible
              1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• fomoco59
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 10 2005

Guys.. thanks for the kind words...yeah I took it out of storage mid-March, but the weather was CRAPPY here for so long it didn't see much action before I donated it.

I'll continue to come to this site as I do every weekday, altho I won't have a car to reference, just tons of photos.

Yes, that's my car on the LFM T-shirt. They did a photo shoot on the car at an All Ford Show in Syracuse last year. Someday it may make the magazine they say.
                sigpic
                Mike Lemmon
                '59 Raven Black Hardtop

Comment

• GTE427
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Oct 9 2007

I'll have to email Collin and request coverage of the Squarebird. First saw LFM at Ford Carlisle last year and have subscribed since. Looks like I missed many good issues prior to last summer, possibly even a Squarebird issue as a Turquoise Convertible made the cover sometime earlier. I like the coverage they provide and John Rotella fills in the historical data that's missing in other publications.

Hope they run your TBird in the near future, give it a plug for it's tenure in the museum and refer people to visit this site for the wealth of information contained within and yet to come.
                  Ken
                  1959 J Convertible
                  1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• fomoco59
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 10 2005

Legendary Ford Magazine is one of the best magazines I've ever subscribed to. The Thunderbird edition is one of the first they published and you can still buy it. I'm planning to meet up with John Rotella this weekend at a Car Show. They know my car... and that I'm anxious to see it in LFM.
                    I do still have my wife's 'Bird to drive in the meantime...
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    Mike Lemmon
                    '59 Raven Black Hardtop

Comment

• fomoco59
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 10 2005

"Raven" has been sitting for six months now so I called the Museum over the weekend to see if they have any way of at least starting the car to get the juices flowing, and the answer was a definite NO, due to fire regulations (probably would set off some smoke alarms). I'm a little concerned about letting it sit for a year without turning over, but the staff assured me it's regular procedure and they've never had a problem firing them up after a year. They charge batteries two weeks prior to pick-up. I can't wait till May rolls around this year.

There's a photo of the display in the Museum's latest newsletter:
                      Last edited by fomoco59; November 24, 2008, 10:19 AM.
                      sigpic
                      Mike Lemmon
                      '59 Raven Black Hardtop

Comment

• SandyBoy
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Oct 31 2002

Beautiful, simply excellence on wheels Don't worry. My Caddy (1993 Sixty Special) did not start for a year & 18 days. Charged up, it started on the first try. Just allow her to run at her 7000 to 9000 RPMs for a good 10 minutes prior to shifting into "D" and drive slowly at first. She is in storage from Nov thru the following April 15th, every year, and i have had zero problems. She is 15 years "young" with 11,423 miles. Bought new in March of 1993. Your 'Bird will fly !

Comment

• scumdog
                          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

These Thunderbirds sure can rev!

Originally posted by SandyBoy
                          Just allow her to run at her 7000 to 9000 RPMs for a good 10 minutes prior to shifting into "D" and drive slowly at first. Your 'Bird will fly !
                          At 7000rpm to 9000rpm it sure as heck will fly!!!
                          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• fomoco59
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jun 10 2005

Decision Time...

Well, I got the phone call I dreaded last night. The museum has expanded into a 30k sq ft addition and they want to continue the "Nifties-Fifties" display and include 40's-60's cars. Mine was chosen from the current display to join the new group for another year ! I was counting the weeks (12) until I could get "Raven" back home again. I need to make a decision in the coming weeks whether to commit to another year. I just sold my '62 Mercury because I knew I wouldn't finish it by Spring and it would just sit, taking up space... Maybe I'll buy a Ford Lightning I always wanted, to have something fun to drive next year....
                            sigpic
                            Mike Lemmon
                            '59 Raven Black Hardtop

Comment

• tarps3
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jul 21 2003

Originally posted by fomoco59
                              Well, I got the phone call I dreaded last night. The museum has expanded into a 30k sq ft addition and they want to continue the "Nifties-Fifties" display and include 40's-60's cars. Mine was chosen from the current display to join the new group for another year ! I was counting the weeks (12) until I could get "Raven" back home again. I need to make a decision in the coming weeks whether to commit to another year. I just sold my '62 Mercury because I knew I wouldn't finish it by Spring and it would just sit, taking up space... Maybe I'll buy a Ford Lightning I always wanted, to have something fun to drive next year....
                              just go get your car and drive it.....
                              Casey

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎