No announcement yet.

Heavy Duty Sway Bar

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy Duty Sway Bar

I purchased a heavy duty sway bar from T-Bird Southwest should be in next week. Has anyone put one of these on a 59 and if so any suggestion that might be helpful.
    Thanks
    Bob M

Yes, surpisingly it is very straight forward and took no time at all to install. everything is bolt on and the new hardware bolts to existing holes in the frames.

I don't think there is anything out of the ordinary that you would have to be concerned with.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

I donīt know what brand my front sway bar is, but itīs quite thick. Way thicker that the original, and the only problem I have is that my tires polish it when turning.....
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

I believe Addco Susp makes em for the TBird suppliers.
        The HD S/bar attaches to the bumper brackets. Buttugly hardware.
        Silver w/red neoprene bsgs (YUK!!) Rattlecan all that flat black. I looked at one Sunday. Boy is the bar close to the frame rails on the side. It looks like it would hit if you hit a good woop-dee-doo.

I have the same issue with the tires hitting my swaybar when the wheels are cranked. Oh well. Like when do ya crank em all the way anyways?
        A U-turn??!! Ha ha!!! Forget it. It's like trying to turn the USS Nimitz around in a swiming pool.

Comment

I got it on and man what a difference in the curves it is like driving a new car. Maybe this winter I will install a sway bar on the rear.

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

If you think that's something, wait'll you put a rear swaybar on it. It makes a HUGE difference.

Comment

• TOM1960SQUAREBIRD
              • Nov 28 2009

Swaybar

Hi Guys , reading swaybar replacement, i am looking for a front/rear set for my 60 tbird any suggestions,what fits best,who sell them, thanks
              Tom
              Tom Splane

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Heavy Duty Sway Bar

Hi Tom,

There are a couple of suggestions below this. Lance, at T-Birds Southwest, east of me, near Luling, has both front and back heavy duty sway bars, as I recall. Lance is great people and knows a lot about these old birds of ours. There are people who ship their Tbirds across the country for him to restore or fix. Several people on here have his sway bars on their Tbirds, including one who commented below this. It is something tht I want to add to Rose later on. They make a world of difference in driving I am told. Here is his website. His contact information is on it.

http://www.thunderbirdsouthwest.com/

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

Originally posted by byersmtrco
                  If you think that's something, wait'll you put a rear swaybar on it. It makes a HUGE difference.
                  Yes, I wish.... remember I tried and learned the ones out there don't work with the coil spring rear end.

The front one was worth every penny and effort to get that baby on there.

Anyone need a stock one?

Originally posted by TOM1960SQUAREBIRD
                  Hi Guys , reading swaybar replacement, i am looking for a front/rear set for my 60 tbird any suggestions,what fits best,who sell them, thanks
                  Tom
                  Not sure where to get one, but with these cars, bigger...... is way way better, so buy the beefiest one you can find.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Bob M
                    ...Has anyone put one of these on a 59 and if so any suggestion that might be helpful...
                    Bob, this might be a good opportunity to do everything at once, so you don't have to re-do it. If you are considering changing your springs, ball joints, bushings, etc., do all of it at the same time.

You can pull your "A" arms off and refinish (or powdercoat) them. Drilling or grinding out ball joint rivets is so much easier when the arms are out. So is degreasing and painting. T-bird "A" arms are so long, you won't need a spring compressor. They fall in your lap when you jackstand the frame and lower the bottom "A" arm.

I bought a set of 1-1/8" bars (for my '55) from Lance Herrington (Thunderbirds Southwest) and I couldn't be happier. I also found cheaper bars (for my '59) that were a little smaller in diameter. I won't do THAT again. They do make a huge difference if you do front and rear.

Buy from Thunderbirds Southwest because they have good anti-sway bars:

Click on the picture for his site. - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 3dpsycho
                      • Jun 26 2009

1958 thunderbird Rear sway bar

So, just got off the phone with Lance at Southwest and ordered my front Sway bar... but was informed that no way could he get a rear one for the 1958 tbird... anybody inventive enough to have figured out a way around that or have a different source for that... just for curiosity it would be nice to have. (I'm beginning to suspect 1959 was the best tbird year)

Comment

• Anders
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jan 19 2008

Some say the leaf spring birds, 59-60 have the best handling, but I have also heard that the 58 is the best, so I just donīt try to care to much as I have a 58 and will stick to it anyway..
                        And I donīt drive this car near the way I drive my new Volvo anyway....
                        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• RustyNCa
                          Super-Experienced
                          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by 3dpsycho
                          So, just got off the phone with Lance at Southwest and ordered my front Sway bar... but was informed that no way could he get a rear one for the 1958 tbird... anybody inventive enough to have figured out a way around that or have a different source for that... just for curiosity it would be nice to have. (I'm beginning to suspect 1959 was the best tbird year)
                          Naw, 58 is but I am a bit biased .

At one time I was trying to figure it out how to run a rear bar, didn't get anywhere on it. It would make a huge difference in the cars handling I would imagine.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                            Super-Experienced
                            • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Anders
                            Some say the leaf spring birds, 59-60 have the best handling, but I have also heard that the 58 is the best, so I just donīt try to care to much as I have a 58 and will stick to it anyway..
                            And I donīt drive this car near the way I drive my new Volvo anyway....

I personally would think the 58 design would handle better with new bushings and a good heavy sway bar. It is alot like the truck arm suspension that Nascar still runs and that companies like Hot Rods to **** make now.

The arms are not as long as the truck arm are, or (centerdrive suspension) but the concept is very similar.

But they are sure are more complicated and can't be maintained

Comment

• byersmtrco
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Sep 28 2004

For the 58, see if something off a GM will work. They're all coil spring
                              rr/susp. Maybe off an el Camino or something.

But the frt & rr beefy swaybars make a huge difference.
                              Different car !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎