No announcement yet.

Engine casting number

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine casting number

Randy Hi Guys I am new to your forum and have recently bought a 60 ht from e-bay and am trying to find out what motor it has. It has what appears to be factory blue paint on the block and valve covers.I searched for the production code on the block under the heads and only found 1T.Could this be the number? I looked on the front of the block for the casting number but have not found it at this time.Someone made the engine a closed crankcase ventilation system by routing the oil cap to the air cleaner and the downdraft tube to the base of the carb.Can I change this back or wait until I find out the year of the engine? Sorry for the long posting. I understand the block and heads should be black with yellow valve covers. Thanks for any help.

RE: Engine casting number

I found my 59 painted blue as well but over 45 years someone (many owners) most likely painted it blue thinking that it was the right thing to do. I think the 352 intake manifold with the road draft tub is different from the the 390. So if you have a road draft tube port you may have a 352 intake on a 390.

Comment

• tarps3
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 21 2003

I have a '60 TBird hardtop with the 352. It has a road draft tube (original equipment).
      I also have a '64 Galaxie 500 convertible with the 390. It too has a road draft tube (original equipment). However on the 390, it is very easy to convert to the closed crankcase ventilation system - so it could be either way. The same port on the intake could be used for the draft tube or the PCV system.
      Don't know if that helps anything or not.
      I don't know what to tell you about the oil cap thing.

Casey
      Casey

Comment

Thank you for your answers.The Thunderbird came from California and maybe the previous owner tried to lower emissions by installing this home made system.Now,I have to go and find that casting number!!

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

You can easily convert the PCV valve system back to the original. They even reproduce the original downdraft tube and oil cap.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢