No announcement yet.

The VIN location

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The VIN location

The VIN plate is missing on my 59 Thunderbird. I was told that the VIN is stamped on the inside of one of the wheel wells but I can't find it. Can anyone tell me where on the wheel well it's stamped.

Thanks Barry
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: The VIN location

The VIN number is stamped on the inside edge of the fender that is covered by the hood when closed. It is also on top the cross member under the engine. You will need a mirror to see that one.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Could you give me a exact location on the edge of the fender and which fender? I couldn't find it on either fender or the cross member.
      Thanks Barry

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

These are the exact locations of the 1958-60 VIN numbers. This information is from the book Ask The Bird Doctor Concours Perfect Series Vol I by Don Kimrey which has a wealth of information. You can get the book from Bob's Bird House http://www.bobsbirdhouse.com/.

There is some variation through the years where the VIN number was placed. Even within the year 1959 the locations changed. I remember seeing the number on the crossmember of my 1959 when I pulled the engine many years back.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you very much for your help. It was on the frame by the right A arm. My Car now has a past and a new future!

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

You can get a new data plate made up for your car. They do reproduce them.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

• GTE427
              Super-Experienced
              • Oct 9 2007

Back in 2003, Alexander recommended the Bird Doctor's book. By chance I got one last week, was impressed with it's content and searched the forum for any reference to it.

I received Volume 1, does anyone know of more volumes and what became of Don Kimrey. Volume 1 was published in 1998, Don was part of the Heartlands VTCI chapter and had quite a collection of restored cars in addition to a scrapyard full of them, similar to to the guy in Wisconsin
              Ken
              1959 J Convertible
              1960 J Hardtop

Comment

Barry, now that you have a VIN# for your bird, you may want to consider emailing John Rotella with the Thunderbird Registry and letting him know the # so he can add your bird to the Registry. His direct email is john@tbirdregistry.com

Originally posted by Barry
                Thank you very much for your help. It was on the frame by the right A arm. My Car now has a past and a new future!

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The VIN location

Hi Ken,

I looked at my latest VTCI Scoop and there is no listing for the Heartlands VTCI Chapter. I looked for Don Kimrey's name in the various listings to no avail. Then I got out my VTCI Roster & Bylaws CD, went down through every state trying to find him listed. I did not find his name listed in the roster. Sorry I could not come up with some information for you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• GTE427
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Oct 9 2007

Ray, Thanks for looking, I'll take a second look tonight to ensure I have the info correct.
                    Ken
                    1959 J Convertible
                    1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
                      Experienced
                      • Jan 5 2008

Don Kimrey

Originally posted by YellowRose
                      Hi Ken,

I looked at my latest VTCI Scoop and there is no listing for the Heartlands VTCI Chapter. I looked for Don Kimrey's name in the various listings to no avail. Then I got out my VTCI Roster & Bylaws CD, went down through every state trying to find him listed. I did not find his name listed in the roster. Sorry I could not come up with some information for you.
                      Kimrey would have your hide if you associated him with VTCI! In the late '80s he took control of what was then VTCA's Kansas City chapter, the MoKan Vintage Thunderbird Club, renamed it Heartland Vintage Thunderbird Club of Amercia, and turned his local club into an independent "national" organization. Local VTCI members regrouped and formed the Vintage Thunderbirds of Kansas City in 1992, which today is a very strong chapter that I have been priveleged to been associated with over the years.

Over the years Kimrey piggybacked his parts business with Heartland while maintaining control of both, commingling advertising of his business and the club. By the mid-2000s he had turned over operation of the club to others in Ohio, eventually closed his parts business, sold off what parts he didn't want to keep for himself to Bob's Bird House, and had well over 200 parts cars crushed. He has focused on his apartment properties since then. As far as I am aware of Kimrey still lives in the Kansas City area and has a few cars, but he has been selling them off.

In late 2004-early 2005 Heartland as a national organization dissolved and its chapters were free to align with other national T-bird clubs. There are a handful of people in Kansas City that still hold claim to a Heartland club, but they have not affiliated with a national group.
                      Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
                      Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
                      Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• Techie5262
                        • Aug 5 2010

Need more help locating VIN on Frame.

Hey guys. I have 2x 1959 Thunderbird project cars. One is missing the Data plate, and the other has one. I am wanting to verify the VIN's on my Titles to the cars. I tried going by the picture posted to see if I could find them, but to no luck. Can someone please take a picture or a video of their own to better help me find these?? Would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Also, what places can I go to, to have a Data plate made? I called one today, but they are not open until after the 20th of this month.
                        Last edited by Techie5262; August 5, 2010, 10:38 PM. Reason: Found a spelling mistake..

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The VIN Location

Here is the link to the company that will provide replacement Data Plates. I dont know if this is the one you called or not. You will find this information in the Technical Resource Library, along with the locations of VIN #' for you Tbirds. I am not sure you saw this example. In case you did not, here it is below.

"http://www.datatags.com/" Replacement Data Plates

Those are the only places, that I know of, where you can find your VIN # stamped into the car.
                          Attached Files

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Techie5262
                            • Aug 5 2010

Yeah, that is the place I called about getting a replacement Data plate, unfortunately they will not be open until after August 20th.

That is the picture I tried to go by, but did not have any luck. The engines are still in and I was trying to use a mirror like I saw someone had said to do in one of the other posts. Was hoping someone would have a photo from their actual vehicle they could link. or a video that shows where and how to hold the mirror to find it.

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The VIN location

Unfortunately, that is the only company that I know of who makes data plates. Others might know of another company(s). As for finding the VIN locations, it might be a matter of doing some heavy cleaning in those areas the VIN #'s are stamped into the metal. Then you might be able to see them better, and maybe get a mirror one those you cannot see directly. The locations that are out in the open might be covered up with paint. You may have to do some scraping to see them. I dont know if you want to do that or not.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎