X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yellow98cobra
    Experienced
    • May 28 2012

accelerator not backing down

This problem started just before I replaced the tank. I had ran it out of Gas and then I pumped the pedal hard several times trying to start it. After getting more gas and getting it to start it has had this problem. I know the carb needs rebuilt and the springs are old. But i am not sure if it is missing a spring that pushes the pedal back up. It only does this when it is in gear once I step on the pedal to go it will not back down if I have my passemger pull the rod back (pedal) up at the light it will calm down. My gas pedal will need replacing as the socket for the rod is falling apart.
    Attached Files
    Yellow98Cobra
    1960 Thunderbird HT
    Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
    There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
    http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
  • ThunderBaker
    • Jul 11 2012

Accelerator not backing down.

There is an excellent throttle set-up on page 6-10 in the shop manual.Hope this helps!

Comment

• yellow98cobra
      Experienced
      • May 28 2012

Originally posted by ThunderBaker
      There is an excellent throttle set-up on page 6-10 in the shop manual.Hope this helps!
      Thanks I have looked at that I have no clue as to what Iam doing and all of that is well above my pay grade.
      Yellow98Cobra
      1960 Thunderbird HT

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by ThunderBaker

Originally posted by yellow98cobra
        Thanks I have looked at that I have no clue as to what I am doing and all of that is well above my pay grade.
        Then, you need a mechanic whose Shop Manual comprehension is congruent w/his paygrade. Many times our problems aren't covered in the book. Your throttle needs to be set up according to Ford.

Good suggestion, Marshall. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• yellow98cobra
          Experienced
          • May 28 2012

I had someone look at this for me He adjusted the accelerator rod to its fullest and said there is to much play in this bracket where the rod runs across to the return spring it wiggles up and down (section 6-10 in the manual shows a better picture of this but doesnt name it). Please see photo and let me know what it is called. I have looked at the manual and the website and can not find it. I also looked through the several parts books that I have and it does not appear that they sell it. if anyone knows where I can get one please let me know. Thank you Eric
          Attached Files
          Yellow98Cobra
          1960 Thunderbird HT

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Seems to me that Richard Hord had a problem where his holes were worn oblong and the throttle wouldn't return to low idle speed. He had to jiggle the linkage, then it retracted.

The way I would tackle this is to make the holes round again. Drill the holes bigger and use bronze bushings (like door hinges use). Of course, you will need to find correct size bushings for the rods. That way, if the holes ever wear again, it's a simple task to pop in some new bushings. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Or you can go this route-

...if OEM/dedicated restoration is not a factor to you.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Check with Carl Heller (partsetal). He may have a decent used one.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• yellow98cobra
                  Experienced
                  • May 28 2012

Thanks Guys.. I met a guy at a local car show back in June and he said he had a couple parts cars. I will call him and see if he has this part but would like to have name for it besides the the throttle linkage thingy that mounts to the intake.

Dave I thought about a bushing but it did not dawn on me to drill it out larger "DOH" I also thought maybe tack on a couple of washers
                  Attached Files
                  Yellow98Cobra
                  1960 Thunderbird HT

Comment

Hey Guys,
                    Dave is correct. Mine had slop in the holes and was getting in a bind when moved. He had a very good ideal! I had already bought bushing and then seen one on Ebay. I contacted the seller and asked if he would check for any slop in holes. He did so and sent me message back, that there was not any slop. I bought it. Still have not got it installed but it is in great shape!
                    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• KULTULZ

It is called BELLCRANK ASSEMBLY. It comes (came) assembled as a unit.

Comment

• yellow98cobra
                        Experienced
                        • May 28 2012

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                        It is called BELLCRANK ASSEMBLY. It comes (came) assembled as a unit.
                        Thank you. My online search has not turned up one for the 58/60 tbirds I found a setup for 55/57 tbird on ebay the guy wants $269 for it. It is looking like bushings will be the way to go.
                        Yellow98Cobra
                        1960 Thunderbird HT

Comment

• KULTULZ

If it were me...

I would disassemble and use bushings. It will give much more concise control (especially trans) and can rebuilt again at a later date.

FORD assembly parts were meant to be quick and cheap.

Comment

• scumdog
                            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                            If it were me...

I would disassemble and use bushings. It will give much more concise control (especially trans) and can rebuilt again at a later date.

FORD assembly parts were meant to be quick and cheap.
                            And sometimes the rod/shaft involved has a groove worn in it - this would benefit from being built-up to make things 'as-new' when you fit the bush.
                            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎