Replaced them lifters and car sounds like a deisle truck

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KULTULZ

Originally posted by JohnG

The illustrations only had the 4 digit portion of the number.
    The Ill Section of the MPC shows Basic PN's and that refers you to the Basic PN in the text for further clarification.

Back to the original question: are the two heads identical or is there a Left and Right ??
    There is only one head casting in these series, no dedicated L or R.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by barrysmith

I am still at a delema as to why it is not getting oil to the rocker arm assembly, It did prior to the heads being rebuilt.

I know this for a fact, because I replaced the valve seals and remember the oil coming up through one of the rocker stands now that I think about it.

The rocker arm assemblies were not taken apart.

Is it possable to mount them on the wrong side?

I will remove one and see if the oil is coming up to the assembly.
      It may be the head gasket is blocking the orifice where the oil supply line goes from block deck to cyl head. Remove either or both rocker asms. and while cranking see if oil is pushed through the orifice.

If the rocker asms. were not disassembled, don't worry about them.

I can give you the procedure for adjusting the valve lash, but it will not be for an FE. I don't have any repair info on a hydraulic FE here.

Comment

• Howard Prout
        Experienced
        • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by KULTULZ
        A special tool is used to put leverage on the rocker arm to collapse the lifter at which time you measure the resulting air gap between the valve stem and rocker arm. You then use the correct length push rod to arrive at this correct air gap.
        Interesting. I was taught to always keep push rods in order and put them back in the same position as they were removed. But I don't remember being told that the push rods for hydraulic lifters were fitted for each location. I always thought that hydraulic lifters adjusted for valve lash. I assumed that keeping push rods in their original sequence was to match wear patterns. I learned something new today.
        Last edited by Howard Prout; April 26, 2009, 07:49 AM. Reason: correction
        sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Howard Prout

Interesting. I was taught to always keep push rods in order and put them back in the same position as they were removed. But I don't remember being told that the push rods for hydraulic lifters were fitted for each location. I always thought that hydraulic lifters adjusted for valve lash. I assumed that keeping push rods in their original sequence was to match wear patterns. I learned something new today.
          You were taught correctly. The engine was lashed @ assembly. The pushrods may (more likely) or may not be unequal lengths. That is why you lay them out in order of disassembly. Wear patterns are a factor also, especially concering the actual lifter positions.

Comment

• barrysmith
            Experienced
            • Aug 28 2008

After carefully studying the oil flow diagram it looks to me that the oil coming through the heads to the rocker arm assemblies are at different locations, if so would it also require that the heads be mounted for a left and right?

I have yet to pull the rocker arm assembly, will do so shortly and measure where the oil lines that feed the assemblies are from the front of the head.

If they are in different locations it woul be imparative to mount then to line up with the block.
            Last edited by barrysmith; April 26, 2009, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• KULTULZ

After carefully studying the oil flow diagram it looks to me that the oil coming through the heads to the rocker arm assemblies are at different locations, if so would it also require that the heads be mounted for a left and right?

I have yet to pull the rocker arm assembly, will do so shortly and measure where the oil lines that feed the assemblies are from the front of the head.

If they are in different locations it woul be imparative to mount then to line up with the block.
              Please re-read the last three paragraphs of the manual page. There is no side specific head. Where those two supply channels come through the block deck surface and meets the head channel, an improper or improperly installed head gasket may by interferring with that oil flow (this assuming the engine has adequate oil pressure).

Comment

• barrysmith
                Experienced
                • Aug 28 2008

NO OIL to the heads

I mounted the gaskets both reading front to front , one up one down to block front water passages.

Is ther a way to check oil pump?

If I remove oil filter and spin her over should oil come out of the filter mountig housing?

I have included pics of the rocker arm asembly.

I still do not understand how oil gets into the shafts.

One of the bolts that holds the arm to the head plugs up the oil line.

That bolt is longer than the rest, does the iol seap up arround the treads into the shaft assembly?
                Attached Files

Comment

• JohnG
                  John
                  • Jul 28 2003

First suggestion: get an oil pressure gauge!!

Second: you had the distributor out, yes? (had the intake manifold off so you must have). There is a shaft that goes from the distributor to the oil pump. You can even drive it with a drill for purposes of pushing oil through the system. You want to check it.

Third: you only showed a picture of one of your supports. I dont think they are all the same. I think one of them is special and allows oil to go from the place on the head you showed up to the horizontal shaft and out. (no, the oil does
                  not go by the threads on the bolts shown).

I have old parts somewhere which I can get out later
                  and look at...

john
                  1958 Hardtop
                  #8452 TBird Registry
                  http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                  history:
                  http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Hawkrod
                    Experienced
                    • Oct 31 2005

Sorry, I have been gone all weekend at Boy Scout Camp but this one was too easy. The bolt that goes in the rocker shaft is different at the oil hole than the other bolts for the shaft. If you pull all of the bolts out you will find one that is necked down to allow oil around it. Hawkrod

Comment

• barrysmith
                      Experienced
                      • Aug 28 2008

The suports are all the same, and the bolt that goes in the oil hole is longer,but it is the same as the rest of the bolts as far as thred length and design.

It appears to bottom out on the top of support before it can get to the neck down area below.

I hope that made since.

I can take a another picture if you would like.

The one Ishowed above is the one thatgoes into the oil hole.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Did you put the rocker arm assemblies on the side taken off?

Comment

• barrysmith
                          Experienced
                          • Aug 28 2008

KULTULZ, Thank you so much!

That picture is worth a thousand words.

Houston we have a problem!

I am not sure honestly if the rocker arms where mountedon the side they were taken off, but the bolts are definately not corect.

I also believe you are correct about the incorect head gaskets.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• KULTULZ

That picture is worth a thousand words.

Houston we have a problem!

Both of your cap screws are chamfered to allow oil flow past them unlike the examples I showed (which actually are later 427 solid supply).

Does oil appear @ the oil supply orifices when cranking? If no, you are going to have to determine oil pressure and then check the head gasket(s).

I am not sure honestly if the rocker arms where mountedon the side they were taken off, but the bolts are definately not corect.

I also believe you are correct about the incorect head gaskets.
                            This whole thing is complex as most are not familiar with very early FE design. To be certain I am telling you things correctly, I am going to need a 58/59 FORD parts catalog and late 58 or 1959 shop manual. These engines went through a series of redesign until about 1960.

The stands should have a small opening at the bottom that will matchup with that supply orifice.

I am assuming this car is in a shop and you are helping the tech try to figure it out?

Comment

• Hawkrod
                              Experienced
                              • Oct 31 2005

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                              Both of your cap screws are chamfered to allow oil flow past them unlike the examples I showed (which actually are later 427 solid supply).

Does oil appear @ the oil supply orifices when cranking? If no, you are going to have to determine oil pressure and then check the head gasket(s).

This whole thing is complex as most are not familiar with very early FE design. To be certain I am telling you things correctly, I am going to need a 58/59 FORD parts catalog and late 58 or 1959 shop manual. These engines went through a series of redesign until about 1960.

The stands should have a small opening at the bottom that will matchup with that supply orifice.

I am assuming this car is in a shop and you are helping the tech try to figure it out?
                              The 427 uses the same rocker arm bolts as any other FE and the oil supply bolt is still reduced in diameter for the oiling hole. The normal FE engines including the 427 get oil to the rockers through the head and thus have to have a reduced diameter bolt to allow oil past. If you have a 427 that does not have a reduced diameter bolt for the oiling hole then you miss assembled it or it was put together wrong. Also the chamfer on a bolt has nothing to do with oiling. A chamfer is a bevel that connects two surfaces such as the angle on the tip of the bolt, the angle between the necked down part of a bolt between the threads and the larger diameter part seen in the pictures above on the non reduced neck bolt, the bevel between the smaller diameter area and the larger diameter area that can be seen in the pictures above on the necked down bolt, and the chamfer where the shaft meets the head. Hawkrod
                              Last edited by YellowRose; April 27, 2009, 03:52 PM. Reason: Edited Per Administrators/Moderators

Comment

• barrysmith
                                Experienced
                                • Aug 28 2008

Well I wish it where at a shop, but its in my driveway.

I have replaced head gaskets on Chevy's and Buicks without all this headake.

The supports do not have any holes in the bottom of them, I sanded them down and nothing.

Notice the thread length on my pic. of the long bolt, it goes into the shaft support about a 1/4 inch with the washer insatlled, that is why I asked if it seaped up around the bolt.

Will post later on oil pressure findings( sure hope it is the head gaskets)and will get 2 bolts with the longer neck down area for the oil holes.

Thanks to everyone.

THANKS EVERYONE.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎