Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billy whizz
    • Jul 1 2017

Leaf Spring Bushes

Hi Folk...I need a pair of new leaf spring bushes for the front end of my rear leaf springs on my 65 Landau. Mac and Larry's seem to be out of stock long-term and I cannot find them on Ebay motors. It seems lots of vendors are listing rubber shackle-style bushes as suitable for the front end. Don't the front end bushes come in a steel sleeve?

Anyone know where I can get a decent deal on a pair of these?

Does anyone know of replacement parts manufacturer's numbers so i can search for alternatives? (I.e. Moog, Centric ACDelco?).

these bushes are a UK road test (MOT) failure, so my car is currently off the road.

thanks fellas.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I would not use shackle bushings on the front eyelets. Some springs, in the old days, used to have solid steel bushings in front. We have many leaf spring companies who manufacture springs. They also supply bushings for those springs.

The leading manufacturer of leaf and coil springs for the street rod and restoration automotive industries

We carry a full line of Leaf Springs, Coil Springs and Accessories for passenger cars, light trucks, heavy trucks and trailers, Western Plow parts, Load Master Helper Springs and Load Star Variable Rate Coil Springs

Hope this helps. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• billy whizz
      • Jul 1 2017

Thanks again for the speedy reply.

The bushes seem to be the Harris type - just two rubber bungs per eye, with no metal sleeve or inner sleeve. I hope this is all i need.

My main problem now is that the bushes themselves add up to less than $20...but every supplier I contacted wants over $100USD to Fedex them to me!! that plain ridiculous when you consider how small and light the package will be.

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by billy whizz
        Thanks again for the speedy reply.

The bushes seem to be the Harris type - just two rubber bungs per eye, with no metal sleeve or inner sleeve. I hope this is all i need.

My main problem now is that the bushes themselves add up to less than $20...but every supplier I contacted wants over $100USD to Fedex them to me!! that plain ridiculous when you consider how small and light the package will be.
        I feel for regarding the cost of freight from the US, I bought two new brake drums about ten years ago and I just about died at the shipping cost (I needed then quick-smart or I would have to pay for another vehicle registration check)
        And things have got worse freight-wise since then.

We do have NZ companies that ship regularly at a modest cost - but of course there's the delay factor with them and if you're in a hurry...but maybe the U.K. has such shippers?
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• stubbie
          Experienced
          • Jul 7 2011

Can you take yours to the local parts store and try looking for a set of neoprene bushings. You might even be able to get a set made. I think they can be cut on a lathe.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

...My main problem now is that the bushes themselves add up to less than $20...but every supplier I contacted wants over $100USD to Fedex them to me!! that plain ridiculous when you consider how small and light the package will be.
            If you're willing to sacrifice tracking (in other words, you're on your own), the US Postal Service will send a First-Class Package International Service box weighing two pounds to the UK for US$22.50. (Max. length 24", max length, height and depth (thickness) combined 36")

I'm not a big fan of FedEx. I recently ordered rubber belts from Kansas City (to Detroit). Normal mail might take two-three days. FedEx took NINE, then they gave the package over to the US Postal Service in Detroit. They should have used the USPS all along. It would have been cheaper and faster. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• billy whizz
              • Jul 1 2017

I can post the same parts from the UK to the US (without tracking) for about 12 dollars and it would usually take about 3- 4 days to get there.

I have some good friends in Australia, but Oz-UK postage is unreliable.

I thought of taking my bushes out and touting them round the suppliers in our region, but they are the original steel sleeved ones and I will have to destroy them to get them out.

After watching "how to do..." videos on youtube I am hoping to swap the bushes on the car without removing the whole spring. Don't know if it will actually work that way.

I would have thought Moog would have the perfect thing listed on their website, but it seems they don't have anything suitable.

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                Experienced
                • Mar 1 2017

I can post the same parts from the UK to the US (without tracking) for about 12 dollars and it would usually take about 3- 4 days to get there.

I have some good friends in Australia, but Oz-UK postage is unreliable.

I thought of taking my bushes out and touting them round the suppliers in our region, but they are the original steel sleeved ones and I will have to destroy them to get them out.

After watching "how to do..." videos on youtube I am hoping to
                swap the bushes on the car without removing the whole spring. Don't know if it will actually work that way.

I would have thought Moog would have the perfect thing listed on their website, but it seems they don't have anything suitable.
                When I restored my '58 convertible I removed all the rear bushings and took them to a industrial conveyer roller place . They removed all the old rubber from the sleeves and vulcanized (if that is the right word ) the old sleeves with new rubber . Gave them the sizes of the bores that the bushings are pressed into with an interference fit and the fit was perfect . All new bushings in the rear suspension . Quite sure there must be one of these companies in your area . Hope this helps .

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎