Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Here they are, boys...
    First, the AUTOMATIC TRANS...

MANUAL TRANS...

And a closeup...

This shows ONLY the clutch and manual brake pedals use a separate pedal cover that slips over the pedal. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

Great job Dave.

I checked Mac's and Larry's. Mac's has the 2 pad covers for regular brakes and PB for about $10 and $15. However, one Swift-Sure is $120.95. Would you assume that's the bolt on since there's no detailed explanation?

Larry's a bit different selling a Swift-Sure without the metal band for $30.17. Again, no details as to whether this is the bolt-on.

I just checked the Bird's Nest and the metal equipped Swift-Sure is $40.00. No details on the product.

Well, $121 is rather unreasonable for a bolt-on.

Dean

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

According to these Ford diagrams, ALL automatic brake pedals are bolt-on. My experience finds that to be true.

Over the years, I've seen 'Swift Sure' pedals go for many prices. Somehow, the two pieces (rubber and chrome) could not be purchased as one (I heard, for copyright laws) so they were sold as separate part numbers and the buyer had to assemble the bezel and rubber parts.

Everyone sold them but at high prices. The last Swift Sure I bought was $50 (complete) from Mac's, years ago.

Whenever I see a high price, I assume they don't want to be bothered OR they will buy the part from someone else then send it to you at a hefty profit. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

Alright Dave. Good job!

Bird's Nest and Larry's roughly $50 version is the bolt-on. So back to the original question's answer is these are the bolt-on Swift-Sure Peddle pads. It shouldn't be an issue for OX1.

As I said, I never had a bolt-on brake peddle pad. I saw the all rubber "Power Brakes" pad in Macs for about $15, and since my car is a PB conversion, I thought this was the only option. I never thought to look in my service manual for a bolt-on brake peddle pad. The replacement I placed over the metal backing bolted to my peddle isn't bad. It's snug, doesn't move, and solid. Having said that, I'll probably swap it out for the bolt-on because I'm a nerd about this stuff.

Dean

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Deanj
            ...Bird's Nest and Larry's roughly $50 version is the bolt-on....
            Larry's only shows the stainless bar, not the mating stainless surround.
            Bird Nest shows the correct parts but as said, they must be ordered separately.
            Mac's has a price guarantee that promises to match another site's price.

When the rubber and stainless parts are assembled, your foot only touches the rubber. The stainless is inset. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• OX1
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 10 2016

So that brings up another question.
              Which one is the right pad for a 59 auto bird?

The one with embossed "power brake"
              or the two part one with chrome?
              59-430-HT

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by OX1
                So that brings up another question.
                Which one is the right pad for a 59 auto bird?

The one with embossed "power brake"
                or the two part one with chrome?
                The embossed "Power Brake". The "Swift Sure" with the chrome trim was only used in '58.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• OX1
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by jopizz
                  The embossed "Power Brake". The "Swift Sure" with the chrome trim was only used in '58.

John
                  OK, thanks...............
                  59-430-HT

Comment

• Deanj
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Nov 26 2015

So Thunderbird stores show multiple brake pads that "fit", but these aren't necessarily correct for that year? I don't want to sound complaining and even though I know it's our responsibility to know the right part for our car, I would think these vendors would steer us in the right direction to the correct part.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Deanj
                      So Thunderbird stores show multiple brake pads that "fit", but these aren't necessarily correct for that year? I don't want to sound complaining and even though I know it's our responsibility to know the right part for our car, I would think these vendors would steer us in the right direction to the correct part.
                      Crazy as it seems, some owners like to customize their ride using compatible parts.

By considering the price difference between brake pedals, the vast numbers tell the real story. In 1959 & 1960, Ford produced 250,000 Thunderbirds. At a savings of ten bucks per pedal, that's $2.5M. I think the price difference is more like twenty bucks per so, Ford saved a cool $5-million by simply changing a rubber pedal that nobody looks at while driving. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deanj
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Nov 26 2015

That makes sense Dave. Ironic when I recall my brother's 1964 Thunderbird back in '67. We thought it loaded with luxury items even though this cars options only included transistorized ignition, white walls, skirts, right mirror, and tinted glass. It was the PS, PB, 390, Cruise-O-Matic, clock, swing away steering column, console, and all that chrome, aluminum, and stainless interior trim that made us feel this was a luxury car.

I think by 1964 Ford put some bling back into the brake pedal-as it should.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Think in terms of 'production' because that's how the industry operates. Consider the progression of options.

In the early days, buyers REFUSED to pay for things they didn't want. That meant more differences on the assembly line. For example, electric wipers and turn signals were an option. The wire harnesses are different. Some folks wanted a trunk light or Trailer Towing. Again, a different wire harness.

Then they offered packages, to reduce the number of different parts on the line and lower manufacturing costs. Now, most models are loaded but have fewer choices except for factory drivetrain and colors. All the other options are already installed or the dealer may 'adjust' options, like tire brand choices.

An old-time buyer would say, "I'm not paying for anything I don't want." A modern buyer would simply choose the model that suits them without disputing options.

So the progression is, more options were included as 'standard' so that every car on the line got the same equipment which dramatically lowers cost per option; fewer suppliers, fewer parts on the line, less assembly line space, less dunnage, etc. What car comes without A/C today? Less than half of our Squarebirds came with A/C. Electric windows, tinted glass and automatic transmissions were NOT in every Squarebird, either.

It used to be, if you want 'bare bones', get a truck. Ford always sold more trucks than cars. Now, even the trucks are loaded.

Side note: 'Color-choice' sells cars and that cannot change. Mustangs had six different colors of instrument panels which kept the loading dock and trains of hi-lo trucks jumping all day. A rack held six but the line ran at 1/min. That means, unload the empty rack and re-load with a full rack every six minutes or less. I used to hear over the radio, "Material Handling, we need black IPs." (Say it fast because I cracked up every time.)

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• sidewalkman
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 14 2015

Just for giggles I looked on eBay for Swift-Sure brake pedals, there were a couple, both claimed as NOS 1 at 250.00 and the other at 169.00.

Quick lets buy them!!!!

Or for under 50.00 if you really felt like you had to have them, Larry's has them in stock.
                            Scott
                            South Delta, BC, Canada
                            1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                            Red Leather Interior!
                            www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                            Thunderbird Registry #61266
                            http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Our '59 Galaxie came with std 3-speed manual shift, no pb or ps. I thought this very odd since the Galaxie was the top trim line of full size Ford cars.

The Power Brake option for this car HAD a Swift Sure pedal. The brakes were crap because they were all drum brakes but the pedal was nice.

So, other Ford cars (and different years) used the premium pedal, not just Thunderbird.

I bought two of these pedals years ago and at the time I thought $50 was outrageous. Apparently, Ford didn't install many of them because power brakes were not as popular as they are today. What modern car comes with std brakes? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deanj
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Nov 26 2015

Yes, as a matter of fact I believe Japanese cars changed that "have your way" years ago. Their quality improved as the cars were assembled maybe in 2 versions. It seems what made American cars so cool, you could build them anyway you want, any color, was also their weakness.

I was just laughing yesterday when I recalled that a colleague in 1979 ordered a Mercury Monarch company car. The order was miscommunicated and the result was a yellow car with a red vinyl interior. Too bad we weren't McDonald's.

My 1960 T-Bird wasn't a special order, but is a factory A/C car with regular brakes. That didn't scare me off when I bought the car. Driving it was another matter. I just didn't remember regular brakes so useless. I converted it to power and never regretted the change.

My wife was born in 1958, and she thinks I'm kidding when I tell her that heaters were an option in most cars until about 1963.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎