• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrolhead
    Experienced
    • Jul 2 2007

generator to alternator query

Hi ya guys and gals

Aftre procrastinating for months, I finally have to change my '62 to an alternator as the gennie spat the dummy on Sunday.

I've got a question: the generator's driven my a double belt, I imagine it's hard if not impossible to find an alternator with a double pulley, or adapt something, so would runnig just one belt be a problem with regards to slippage etc?

Cheers

Alistair

When I changed my generator to alternator in Christine. Of course I only had one belt. The old pulley went right on alternator. I had to modify my brackets but it works like a champ. Everyone said that the company C.R.A.P has brackets, but I could never get in touch with them.

Comment

• bird 60
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 18 2009

Hi neighbour, when you you say she spat the dummy do you mean she's had the biscuit & she's not repairable. If she is repairable why not fix it, you'll be good for the next 7 years or so. That way you won't have to worry about looking for or fabricating to accomodate an Alternator.
      Just a thought.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

• Petrolhead
        Experienced
        • Jul 2 2007

Thanks Richard, i read your how-to and it's very helpful.

Hi Chris, yeah, I'm in two minds. When I got the car the generator wouldn't keep up with any electrical drain of more than headlights, and I had to put the battery on charge every few days.

I took the car into a sparky and he found that at some stage the generator must have bene dropped and the centre shaft/armature was bent, so the brushes/armature or whatever they have inside were not making good contact and wearing away.

They did a makeshift repair, telling me that it "may not last" and when it fails the entire generator would need replacing.

Plus, an alternator makes sense as I run two air bag comperssors, plus intend to put some decent sounds in it.

I guess logic dictates a change to an alternator.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Alistair,

I changed from a generator to an alternator over a year ago, using the single pulley that was on the generator. I have not had problems with slippage, though at first I did. But that was due to the bracket not being set up right. Once that was fixed, I do not have the problem.

Speaking of mounting brackets, I do not know what is with C.R.A.P. They must not want any business. The only way you can get in contact with them is by sending them an email through their website. Which they do not answer..... They have no phone number on their website that I know of. I know that some of you have done business with them, and have bought mounting brackets for our 352's from them. If anyone has a phone number for them, please give it to me, because I wanna sic the Bulldog on 'em! They are losing business by not answering emails, and not having a phone number to call them on.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Petrolhead
            ...I've got a question: the generator's driven my a double belt, I imagine it's hard if not impossible to find an alternator with a double pulley, or adapt something, so would runnig just one belt be a problem with regards to slippage etc?...
            Ford alternators use the same shaft as the old generators. If you already have a double-belt pulley on your old generator, it's an easy thing to take off and install on an alt.

I had an old Mustang alt (75-amp) with a serpentine pulley. My alternator guy charged me US$10 to install a V-belt pulley, then he gave the old one back.

Alternator rebuild shops here, have hundreds of pulleys on the shelf, and our scrap yards discard alternators daily, so they are inexpensive compared to hard-to-find 35-amp generators.
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Petrolhead
              Experienced
              • Jul 2 2007

thanks Ray and simply connected

Ray, I'll have a go making my own brackets, if it all turns to custard then I'll go the aftermarket route. thanks for the advice about CRAP.

Simply connected - thanks, never thought of taking the gennie in and dettig the pullies sorted - great idea. I've got the generator out and it's in my daily driver, going out to get a suitable alternator today.

Comment

• ramos291
                Apprentice
                • Sep 18 2014

where can I find that DIY from Richard? I would like to convert my Gen to an Alt. I am not sure what one to get.

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Did you look in the Technical Resource Library. There are a number of articles related to the conversion. If your block has the hole already drilled for the alternator then it will be much easier. The stock brackets are fairly easy to find. A Ford 1G alternator requires an external voltage regulator. A 3G alternator does not. It really depends on how many amps you need and how much wiring you want to do.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by ramos291
                    where can I find that DIY from Richard? I would like to convert my Gen to an Alt. I am not sure what one to get.
                    As John said, it all depends on your electrical demand.
                    Are you planning on an electric fan? If so, get an alternator with at least 100-amp output because at idle speeds you need something that will sustain 25 amps so it doesn't drain your battery.

You see, it's not the total output that is important, it's idle speed output. Small alternators like the 75-amp that came in my '90 Mustang don't put out enough to run an electric fan when the car is just sitting. There is nothing worse than a dead battery when you need it most.

I think this conversion is one of the most needed in today's rush hour traffic. All classic cars overheat badly when left at idle speeds for extended times. Modern cars don't have that problem because of electric fans that only turn on when needed. - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• ramos291
                      Apprentice
                      • Sep 18 2014

what parts car would have a good match Alternator to install on my 61 Tbird? I've read so much and now i am a bit confused as to what one to get. The car is pretty stock electrical wise and I don't have plans for any major additions. 1 wire, 3 wire. ford 3d ?

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

How are you going to mount it? If your car does not have the alternator mounting hole already drilled then you will have to use an aftermarket bracket or one of the C.R.A.P. brackets which are rather expensive. If you are going to use an aftermarket bracket then you can use any alternator of the correct amp; Ford or GM. I would not use less than 100 amps. You can not use a later model alternator unless you change the pulley.

John
                        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Randy check links I know one company does make an alternator that has the look and dimensions of a generator I am thinking of using this on my 63 hope this helps Jeff

Comment

• ramos291
                            Apprentice
                            • Sep 18 2014

very pricey if it is the one i am thinking of.

Comment

Randy no not cheap check out technical resource link for other options modern alternators are more cost effective just thought an option best of luck. JEFF

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎