• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbird61
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2 2007

Brake light and right turn signal problem

Hi! On my 61 Tbird, I have this problem:

The brake lights does not work, and the rear right turn signal, does not work either. I have tried to put the light bulb in the left side, and there the bulb works, so its not the bulb.

The turn signal works on the rear left, and on both sides in the front.

The driving lights work on all places.

What could possibly be the problem here? Is there i fusebox in the 61?
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

I am pretty sure there is no fuse box yet in 1961. There is a 7.5 amp fuse between the ACC ignition switch and the flasher. If the flasher works on one side, the fuse is good.

Test your hydraulic brake light switch on the master cylinder. If you put a jumper wire between the two wires going to it, the brake lights should light. If they light, the switch is defective and must be replaced.

You may have a worn turn signal switch, which is located under the steering wheel. Sometimes one of the wires on the bottom of the steering column from the turn signal switch is broken or disconnected and will cause the problem you are experiencing.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• thunderbird61
      Apprentice
      • Jan 2 2007

thank you, I will check those things. As I am a REAL newbie at this, can you tell me where the master cylinder is located? Is it located at the firewall some place?

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

The master cylinder is located on the left side of the firewall attached to the round power brake booster. The brake light switch is on the fitting on the front of the master cylinder.
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

Yes and it should be silver colored and have one or two prongs comming out of it that a rubber boot is covering (wires) and if you need to replace it its not very expensive i think i got mine for $5 at a local parts store

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎