Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djpepe
    • Feb 18 2007

1958 Radio antenna

Hello, I am curious about the placement of the antenna. On mine it is located in the middle of the trunk. Mist pics and diagrams i can find have it located on the front fender. While I am not concerned about being perfectly original I would like to keep this in the proper location for my model. Please help as i am at the point of refinishing the trunk lid and need to deceide wheather or not to leave it in the current location.
    thanks for your help!!
    Steve

Originally posted by djpepe
    Hello, I am curious about the placement of the antenna. On mine it is located in the middle of the trunk. Mist pics and diagrams i can find have it located on the front fender. While I am not concerned about being perfectly original I would like to keep this in the proper location for my model. Please help as i am at the point of refinishing the trunk lid and need to decide weather or not to leave it in the current location.
    thanks for your help!!
    Steve
    This is correct, see the judging standards book which you should have,. The placement was dealer installed item i believe and correct
    mm

Comment

Originally posted by djpepe
      Hello, I am curious about the placement of the antenna. On mine it is located in the middle of the trunk. Mist pics and diagrams i can find have it located on the front fender. While I am not concerned about being perfectly original I would like to keep this in the proper location for my model. Please help as i am at the point of refinishing the trunk lid and need to deceide wheather or not to leave it in the current location.
      thanks for your help!!
      Steve
      They came in either position (fender or rear deck mounted) from the factory.

Comment

• djpepe
        • Feb 18 2007

Thanks! So then there is no correct original choice, just whatever I prefer?? The majority seems to be front fender, so I'm inclined to leave it on the trunk.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Steve as msmaron1 & Travlin have stated either location for the antenna is acceptable. I have a buddy with several classic cars and for whatever reason ( unless factory spec ) he prefers the fender mount. He states over the years antenna's that are trunk mounted get snapped off. Food for thought ???

Dano Calgary, Alberta,Canada
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

Antennas and outside mirrors were dealer installed items back then. The antennae could be on the right fender or trunk. The style of antennae is different for the trunk or the fender. Both are available in reproduction.
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
              Experienced
              • Mar 31 2004

Antenna

Either mounting is correct.

But and there is always a but with these cars. The fender mounted antenna was the one that comes standard with the bird when the radio is ordered either from the factory or dealer installed.

The rear deck lid antenna is a additional option that is not seen very often whether dealer installed or factroy ordered.

Fuz
              58's&64's
              Sun Prairie, Wi.

Comment

I have a 1959 Hdt. with a dealer installed trunk antenna. The replacement antenna has a different hole location that did match the dimples on the lid that would show where to drill thr holes. You might want to get a replacement antenna and drill the holes before you paint the lid.

Comment

• djpepe
                  • Feb 18 2007

Thanks everyone! It sounds like the trunk mount is rare so I will stick with it.
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎