• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Robot
    The Source
    • Jan 29 2007

Disagree with the judges? You pick America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Filed under: Time Warp, Contests, Etc., Chevrolet, Ford, Misc. Auto Shows

Click on the above image to view a high-res gallery of all the AMBR contenders

As with any beauty contest, there are differing opinions on the selection of Kevin & Karen Alstott's 1935 Ford as America's Most Beautiful Roadster. The Ridler Award winner was not my first choice, either. But then again, I preferred Betty over Veronica, Mary Ann over Ginger, Jan over Marcia and Janet over Chrissy, so what do I know? Perhaps Autoblog readers would like to view the leading contenders and make their own selection.

My favorite was Dennis DeCamp's '32 roadster (shown) with its Jon Barrett-built alloy 427 Ford engine and hand-formed aluminum body by Marcel. Gabe's Custom Interiors did the stitching and Speed Shop squirted the paint. Barry's Speed Shop handled all the construction. Nicknamed F-32, the car features a unique push-rod suspension front and rear that locates the shocks inboard, ala Indy Car. There's also a Ferrari influence with the hood scoop, nifty tear-drop exhaust outlets and a clever sprint-car cue with the push-bar license-plate frame. In my humble opinion, this '32 says a lot about innovation, performance, craftsmanship and just plain hot-rodding. I'm an engine guy, and little details -- like the cantilevered engine mounts and the headers that seamlessly morph from square port to round tube -- are impressive.

Following the jump are brief capsules on nine other contenders. There's also a link to a gallery with more than 70 photos of the 10 vehicles that didn't win. Don't forget to check out the winner again and make your own choice.

%Gallery-1389%Continue reading Disagree with the judges? You pick America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Permalink | Email this | Comments
    BOLD MOVES: THE FUTURE OF FORD A new documentary series. Be part of the transformation as it happens in real-time

More...
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎