X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
    That cam button is very important as it keeps the cam centered for the lifters and it affects spark timing. A good mechanic would have questioned the fluctuation in timing as he did the tune-up, especially on an engine with low hours. I have never seen (or heard) an engine the button was left out of. Omitting it will cause those unusual noises you experienced. I cannot imagine replacing a timing cover with parts missing from the cam assembly. Honestly, that's why I do my own work.
    Unfortunately if you ask 100 mechanics under the age of 50 what a thrust button is you will probably get 100 wrong answers. So I'm not surprised that it was left off originally and that multiple mechanics didn't figure it out before the motor was torn down.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

"Hey, I wonder what this funny looking left-over part goes to... Oh well, I'll throw it in the basket with the other left-over parts... Let's jist git done and git paid."
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Dave, that would be funny if it wasn't so true! Anyway the motor is just purring now. So it should be given the amount of work and the cost. It's beautiful to drive. The motor looks good now that it is the correct colours as well.

I'll try to get as many drives as I can over the next week although we are off to Europe for five weeks on 28 September. It's only money.... (or credit)

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

maiden voyage of my 61T oh no

Mark best of luck with new engine and bird. JEFF

Comment

• Ian M Greer
            Experienced
            • Jul 29 2010

Mark enjoy , after what you've been through . Put that top down and go cruising. Enjoy , Ian (Remember Not All Birds Fly South )

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. A bit of top down cruising is exactly what I intend to do. I never did get around to changing the heater core. Oh well, at least it can wait until next winter.

Mark

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎