X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whitebird
    Apprentice
    • Jul 4 2009

Ground Wire

Where exactly is the gas tank ground wire on 1965 bird. Having a problem locating mine.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Tom, to save money, car companies back in the day depended on steel spot welds and screw connections to return the negative ground back to the battery. So, there is none.

I suggest you make your own ground wire by connecting a small (#14 or so) copper wire to the gas tank's outer flange to the chassis. Brass or stainless screws, nuts and washers are my choice.

Here's an example:

Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• whitebird
      Apprentice
      • Jul 4 2009

Thank you. I will try that.

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
        Experienced
        • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by whitebird
        Where exactly is the gas tank ground wire on 1965 bird. Having a problem locating mine.
        If you look in the trunk, in the area where the sequential signal light unit is located, you will see a screw with two ground wires going to it . One for the sequential unit and one for the fuel sending unit ground . This is for the sender and not the tank if that is your concern .

Comment

• whitebird
          Apprentice
          • Jul 4 2009

Yes, I think that may be what I am looking for. Thank you

Comment

• whitebird
            Apprentice
            • Jul 4 2009

Well I didn't do anything to fix my non working gas gauge. I just filled the tank after every use. Well about 2 months ago I was driving on a highway and came upon a bridge that was being repaired and it was quite a bump on both ends. When I looked down at the speedometer I saw that the gas gauge was working and has worked ever since. I think that for some reason it must have been stuck.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Tom, sometimes ya get lucky! It looks like you did when you hit those two bumps! You are probably right about it being stuck and the bumps unstucked it!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎