X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Are Jute Pads Necessary?

Jerry ~ backyardmechanic has a question sent to me in email regarding installing carpeting in his '60 Squarebird. Here is what he had to say.

"Ray, I just read your 2012 carpet installation instructions from the Squarebird's Technical Resource Library. Thank you for such acute instructions and pictures.

My situation is that my 60 Tbird's heater core and heater control valve started leaking, and the passenger's side floor got soaked. I replaced the heater core and control valve. Now, I am reinstalling the carpet; and I have two questions.

First, there were two pads under the carpet; a foam pad and a jute pad. The foam pad can be reused, but the jute pad was too damaged (soaked) to replace. I called around to get a new jute pad but could not locate one. The people at Thunderbird Headquarters told me that the jute pads were used only in the 55-57 Baby Birds, and that the 60 Birds did not use them. It seems that one of the pictures in your instructions has a jute pad. Do you think that the jute pad is necessary, or can I get by with just the form pad?

Second, the jute pad, only the jute pad, was screwed down to the floor board. After reading the Squarbird forum articles, I am thinking about not using the screws or any adhesive. Do you think this will be practical? Any insight you can give me will be helpful. Thanks, JC."

My suggestion to him was to consider using some of the insulation under the carpeting that we use to keep heat out of the interior of the car. I know some of you have been down this road before, so I hope you can answer his questions. Thank you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

All the new carpets that I buy have jute padding glued to them, not foam. If you have an upholstery shop near you they will have it. There should be black tar paper on the bare floor before you put the carpet in. I would put the screws back in as they originally were.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

The idea of those black squares of 'tar' is to keep sheet metal noise down when it flexes. It's installed at the 'sealer deck' so oven heat makes it conform to the steel floor tightly (so water doesn't get under it).

Jute was cheap, it breathes and it deadens sound. The idea is to not trap water under the carpet as that will create mold.

I have used indoor/outdoor carpeting as a backing, from the box stores. It is basically plastic, it won't crush, it deadens sound and it breathes nicely. Jute may still be cheaper but plastic is hyper-allergenic, odorless and critters are not attracted to it. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• backyardmechanic
        • Nov 18 2016

Thanks guys, good information. John suggested going to an upholstery shop; so I went to Mapes Auto Upholstery in Gilberts, Il., and they not only GAVE me the jute that I needed but also directed me to a hydrographics shop to have my kick plate guards painted. All is well that ends well. Thanks. JC

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎