Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Anders and Tom, I will call tomorrow. I have no idea what they might say, but the worst they could say is, "no". So, it's worth a try.

partaxer is referring to a 'receiver' style. Trailer companies sell universal hitches that bolt onto the frame for that type. Draw-tite makes them, too. Just fit to your frame, tack-weld, pull it off, weld, and paint. Then bolt it on, and you're good to go. Receivers are rarely plated.

I don't do much pulling, but a trailer hitch will save your bumper plating on steep driveways. Let the bottom of the hitch get scraped a little... might not make too much difference on an old bumper, but it sure does on a freshly re-chromed job. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dutchbird
      Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Originally posted by 430bird60
      I have been told that there was a dealer option trailer hitch for the squarebird. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, does anyone by any chance have a photo? Thanks. Ken
      Hi Ken,

As you know by now, yes there is!
      Ray posted some pictures of it also, he has the same one as I have.(stamped: 1958-59-60 Thunderbird)
      The trailer hitch on Alexander's Bird was marked only with 1958-1959 Thunderbird.
      Before I purchased mine I placed some bids on another hitch with only 1958 Thunderbird on it.
      (needless to say I didn't won that one....)
      Conclusion: they were made all three years for our Squarebirds - the same shape and style - so they are inter changable. Just the stamped marking on them is different.

Comment

• Dutchbird
        Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
        Dave: I seriously like to have one of these "originals" if possible.
        I might take the trip to The Netherlands and buy myself a old Constructam Comet 5 some day. Will give me a reason to visit Marco and have a Heineken with him
        Hi Anders,

Great pics of the '60 with the Constructam!
        If you want to come over and have a drink, no problem because I run a B&B!!
        (Beer & Breakfast)

If you want to haul a (vintage) trailer with an original hitch you need to drill a hole in your bumper, please keep that in mind!
        That's one reason why I still haven't mounted mine, the second reason is the rear springs/shocks.
        For the '59 and '60 you can buy adjustable Rear Air Shocks from Monroe (#MA 739) but for our '58 I'm still looking for years now to get some adjustable shocks.
        (All tips / info very appreciated!)

Good luck hunting.............

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by Dutchbird
          Hi Ken,

As you know by now, yes there is!
          Ray posted some pictures of it also, he has the same one as I have.(stamped: 1958-59-60 Thunderbird)
          The trailer hitch on Alexander's Bird was marked only with 1958-1959 Thunderbird.
          Before I purchased mine I placed some bids on another hitch with only 1958 Thunderbird on it.
          (needless to say I didn't won that one....)
          Conclusion: they were made all three years for our Squarebirds - the same shape and style - so they are inter changable. Just the stamped marking on them is different.
          Sounds like they added a year in the stamping for each year, meaning it´s easy to see what model year you have.
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

trailer hitch

I have some interesting information for those of you who are looking for original Draw-Tite Squarebird/Tbird trailer hitches!

bigmess16 is Corey, who is a sales rep for Draw-Tite Co, who made these original, stamped trailer hitches for our Squarebirds and other Ford products. simplyconnected ~ Dave, contacted Corey about the possibility of Draw-Tite making more of these trailer hitches. Corey wanted to see the pictures of them I posted, so he joined us!

Now, at this point, I have no idea, nor does Corey, possibly, if Draw-Tite would even want to start up production on this model 50 year later... Perhaps, if Corey was given an indication of how many would like to buy a Draw-Tite trailer hitch for the 1958-1960 Squarebirds, 1961-1963 Bulletbirds, and 1964-1966 Flairbirds, that might help the company make a decision.

So if you want one, you might post here to Corey ~ bigmess16 and let him know. This is an excellent chance to possibly bring back this product if the demand warrants it.

I think this warrants posting in the other two Forums, so I will.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• kuusamon
              Experienced
              • Feb 14 2009

Dave,
              I would like to have one, don't really need one at the moment but if it helps to order one in order for them to make a batch that will be great. Yes it will be a 'collectors item' but a mounted one and I will use it, actually the whole car is a collectors item, LoL. Of course depending a bit on the price but yes sign me in for it too.
              regards
              ron
              sigpicGreets,
              Ronald
              Kuusamo
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Comment

• ParTaxer
                Apprentice
                • Oct 8 2009

I would be interested but I feel torn between an original or hidden hitch attached to the frame rather than the bumper. My reasoning is that attaching it to a bumper allows you to kick it when getting in and out of the trunk. A hidden hitch allows you to remove the ball hitch when not in use. It also could cause bumper distortion if hit by the trailer /boat when loading. Just things to consider, but of course this is what they used in the day.
                Last edited by ParTaxer; January 8, 2010, 01:15 AM.

Comment

• Anders
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 19 2008

I will mail the Swedish Squarebird club and see if there is any interest there. As sson as I know anything, I post it to Corey.
                  Thanks guys!

Comment

• ParTaxer
                    Apprentice
                    • Oct 8 2009

What's the latest on the number of people requesting trailer hitches from DrawTite?

Comment

• Anders
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jan 19 2008

I have mailed the Swedish Squarebird club, and they will have a notice in our next "member-magazine". Not much of a magazine realy, but still....
                      Will take a while before I can have any number. But anyway, I want one, if the price is realistic.

Comment

• tbird430
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 18 2007

There is one of these 1958-60 Squarebird hitches for sale on Ebay now. It is a used one that needs replating....
                        sigpic
                        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• vote4pedro
                          • Apr 18 2011

I found this in the junkyard about a month ago.
                          it's not from Draw-tie but i took it anyway because it only cost me $7
                          it was only tack wedded on, used a hack saw then knocked it off with an axel i found at the yard here it is when i got it home.

pete

Comment

• tbird430
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jun 18 2007

That's pretty cool Pete!

Looks like someone else "made their own" out of another similar type hitch. Over many years ago too....
                            sigpic
                            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎