X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 430bird60
    Experienced
    • Dec 30 2008

a/c vent removal

I have a nice a/c vent that I want to put in my 60 but I am having a hard time removing the one I want to replace. I can't get it separated from the cardboard tube. All the hardware is off the front and it moves but I can't see how it attaches to that tube. I assume once disconnected the vent should come out from underneath the dash. Can anyone help me? Thanks

Ken
    430 sunroof
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

a/c vent removal

Hi Ken,

Your AC vent is probably taped to that cardboard tube. Mine was. In fact, someone, in the past, had been in there and it looked like they made a new tube. Rich had to take out the radio and get up in there with his hand and peel off the tape to get the vent out. That freed the vent to come out. Then he got the cardboard tube out and found that it was stuffed with junk. We found balled up duct tape, a piece of scrunched metal from who knows what, and several other things that I have forgotten about. Then he made a new tube out of cardboard because the one he pulled out was pretty shot. He put the new tube in place, and taped it down with duct tape. Then he slid the vent back into place inside the new tube. He mated them together outside the car first to make sure it was all going to fit together. After he got it all back in, sealed and mated properly, he put the radio back in. I just talked with him on the phone to make sure I did not miss anything. I asked him if he had to unscrew anything to get the cardboard tube separated from that tube. He said not that he remembers, that the tube was taped to the vent hood, and also the tube was taped to the inner vent system.

Since then, while I had Rose in the shop, they made a tube out of metal and replaced that cardboard one.

Hope this helps you!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Ken, it's been many years since I had done my vents, but do maybe recall that the original cardboard tubes were stapled to the vents. I think that the cardboard was so rotten that the staples no longer held the cardboard in place to the vents, but when I put new fiberglass tubes in (that I had made) I took a pliers and yanked the staples out of the vents so the tubes could slide flush on. I may have even re-stapled my new tubes back onto the vents. The staples used would be the same staple type as are used elsewhere on the car such as to fasten rubber onto metal (ie; splash guards shields and fender skirt gaskets).

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎