X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by tbirds8
    Been lookin in some books and I think you have 69 lincoln 460. It sounds like V is for the lincoln line. Could be wrong. Just my feeble mind at work!
    The 'V' means it was originally a Lincoln part but you find those parts all over - i.e. DOVE heads on all earlier 429 - 460 regardless of what Ford car they're in.
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Hawkrod
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2005

Originally posted by scumdog
      The 'V' means it was originally a Lincoln part but you find those parts all over - i.e. DOVE heads on all earlier 429 - 460 regardless of what Ford car they're in.
      That is correct, the 69 429 will also have the V in the casting number. If it is a 460 it is a Lincoln engine, otherwise it is a Ford or Mercury engine. The only difference is the crank and pistons as was already mentioned. Check the crank csating number to see which it is. I will add that in that condition it is not particularly valuable but if somebody were specifically looking you may get up to about $200 for the longblock you have based on the pictures. 68/9 engines are not particularly desirable as the many of the 70 and newer blocks were improved. Hawkrod

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
        Experienced
        • May 4 2009

thanks guys over on y-blocks forever they say its a 429 and the casting numbers on the heads are C9VE which according to them are good heads and were very popular as they were easy to make flow almost as good as the 429 super cobra jet DOVE heads im planning on useing this engine in my 57 sedan (if i can get the pistons out of it) ill try to see if i can find the casting number on the crank may have to wait till i knock the pistons out of it
        57 ford sedan
        60 thunderbird registry number 33404
        69 mustang coupe
        69 roadrunner

Comment

I'll leave this to the experts.

Comment

• Hawkrod
            Experienced
            • Oct 31 2005

Originally posted by 57ford/60thunderbird
            thanks guys over on y-blocks forever they say its a 429 and the casting numbers on the heads are C9VE which according to them are good heads and were very popular as they were easy to make flow almost as good as the 429 super cobra jet DOVE heads im planning on useing this engine in my 57 sedan (if i can get the pistons out of it) ill try to see if i can find the casting number on the crank may have to wait till i knock the pistons out of it
            Just an FYI, D0VE heads are not Cobra Jet heads they are Thunder Jet heads and are much lower power potential. The CJ and SCJ used D0OE heads. The C9VE heads are identical to the D0VE heads. The only way you can tell if the engine is a 429 or a 460 is from the crank casting number which you have not posted here. If you have not provided that to the other guys they are blowing smoke up your backside as far as which it is. Hawkrod

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
              Experienced
              • May 4 2009

well i bought some penetrating oil and doused the top half of the pitons twice today and the lifters and cam bearing jornals (they were stuck also) i got the cam and lifters out of it alittle bit ago so thats a plus hopefully the pistons will come out as easy

and hawkrod , LOL i thought i was feelin a draft but i seriously hope its a 429 and not a 460
              57 ford sedan
              69 mustang coupe
              69 roadrunner

Comment

• Hawkrod
                Experienced
                • Oct 31 2005

Just curious, why would you want it to be a 429 rather than a 460? Most guys who build these swap out the 429 right away. There is no substitute for cubic inches! LOL BTW, I have several 68 and 69 Lincoln 460's available if you are in the Auburn CA area and none of them look nearly as bad as the one you have. Hawkrod

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
                  Experienced
                  • May 4 2009

well i like to be just alittle different and i think saying my car has a 429 (alittle shock value) in it sounds better then saying 460 i allways think of a truck engine when i hear 460 and i havent heard alot of good things about 460's ummmm im only about 1300 or so miles from cali im in ohio
                  57 ford sedan
                  69 mustang coupe
                  69 roadrunner

Comment

• Hawkrod
                    Experienced
                    • Oct 31 2005

I guess if I had looked up and read the area above the post I would have seen where you were from! LOL Personally I think of Lincoln when I think 460 but you could always say " I have a stroked 429"! Hawkrod

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
                      Experienced
                      • May 4 2009

ok i just got all the pistons knocked out of it they all came out in one piece (surprisingly)

a few of the rods/wrist pins are stuck but no big deal it didnt take a half hour to get them out

the crank spins freely and ive looked all over the crank and cant see a part number on it where would it be?

all the pistons have 429 cast into them near the wristpin hole
                      57 ford sedan
                      69 mustang coupe
                      69 roadrunner

Comment

You will be looking for "4U" cast into a crankshaft counter weight. I dont remember if 429 would be cast into the pistons but would stand to reason since they are different than the 460. Back in mid 80's I had a dirt track, claimer stocker class race car. It was in a 76 cougar xr7. Everyone else were running 350/monte carlos. I took quite a ribbing with that "boat" but after the 3 race, I was whippin em pretty good! They could get me on the turns but the straights, that 429 would pull hard! made for some excitin finishes. Man, that was fun! I wished I had that car back now. 429 sounds better than 460 too!

Comment

• scumdog
                          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

My F100 has a 429 cos that's all I could buy in NZ way back then.

Great motor and revs freely and not TOO hard on gas. (18mpg in Imperial gallons)
                          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎