No announcement yet.

Generator "problem"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator "problem"

I installed a rebuilt generator on my 58 and it works fine..........I think. I have noticed that ........lets say......Im at a stoplight with my signal light going.........when the light turns green and I step down on the gas.........it seems to "click" faster. I have also noticed at night when the lights are on........the instrument lights die down a bit when I come to a stop......only to burn brighter when I accelerate.....................and when the bright lights are on, the generator light can barely be seen burning. The voltage regulator is new as well as the battery. Ive checked the belts and the tension is good (they are new as well). I havent set the idle speed yet to the "factory" specs but Im not sure where to go from here..............any suggestions??? I do have a petronix system with the higher voltage coil.
  • 1960Bird
    Experienced
    • Dec 4 2002

RE: Generator

You are OK...at low RPM this would be normal.

Steve Ronk
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
    390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

RE: Generator "problem"

Generators produce minimal current at idle. With my 1959 the headlights dim a little at a stoplight and the generator light dimly glows when the headlights are on at night. It really has beb a problem in the 23 years I have owned the car. Cleaning connects will optmize the situation.

In the owners manual, it warns you that the battery may run down if you only do city driving at night.

You need to do some highway driving to keep the battery fully charged. Better yet, keep a smart charger on the battery while storing the car.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢