This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:32 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road

From what I see, the trunk had water in it & got rusty, & for some time. By the looks of things, the previous owner didn't bother to clean & remove the rust but painted it over with whatever that stuff is (pitch?). Just on a curious note Kirsten, how long was the Bird sitting around for before you bought it? It wouldn't surprise me if you found rust under the carpets inside the car as well. Hopefully you won't find any. I don't know how much you paid for it, but it's what it's going to cost you to complete the project that counts.
I wish for the best.

Chris......From OZ.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:23 AM
Experienced

ssj335 is on a distinguished road

Why would he not have cleaned out the rust that makes no sense.

The trunk leaks when it rains I've had to soak it up and leave it open to dry in the sun several times.

I honestly don't know how long the car sat around. I do know he had a garage he kept the car in and saw it in person. He said the car doesn't run well in the rain and he seemed to feel bad taking it out to show me when I bought the car because it was raining the day I went to buy it. I should call him to get more history on it because I couldn't really take in all the info he was sharing that day.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:55 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
...I guess somebody had some extra roofing cement laying around. That's what it looks like to me unless it's very heavy undercoating...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bird 60 View Post
...By the looks of things, the previous owner didn't bother to clean & remove the rust but painted it over with whatever that stuff is (pitch?)...
It's too thin to be undercoating or pitch. Looks like POR-15 (rust converter), then it sat under water for an extended time.

Kirsten, I hope your leak is not due to holes around the backlite. Get inside the trunk with a flashlight while someone hoses the outside, to find out where water is coming in. If waster is coming in around the trunk lid, buy trunk weather-stripping and a tube of 3-M weatherstrip cement from one of our parts houses. A leak through sheet metal will require body work. I don't care who fixes the leak but that needs to happen first.

Next, BUY a new fuel tank and sending unit from rockauto.com and have them shipped to your house. Any mechanic can install them without adding to the cost of your parts. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Experienced

Hey how would I get into the trunk while someone hoses it? Also, I dont have hose access! Each problem leads to another problem. Not ready to give up just yet. Will find a way or take it to someone who can properly investigate.

So you think that I need a new tank 100%? Should I try to get a look inside first or have someone disconnect it if we can gain access through the trunk? I don't want to pay for more parts and labor to install unless I'm really certain you know what I mean? Though it does sound probable that this is needed.

By the way the entire trunk is coated in the black stuff but I do not see any rust really coming through. I checked the floors underneath the rug on the interior of the car and no signs of rust there. It has some of this black stuff too from what I recall and a bunch of silver lining that looks like a fancy tin foil (treme Dynamat is what it says on it). Hopefully whatever was done to treat and protect the trunk and flooring of the car was done well.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Experienced

Thanks again for all the help. I plan on calling the PO. Putting together a list of things to ask him questions about. Do you have any suggestions? I am so far planning to ask:

* When/where was transmission rebuilt? (His ad said that it was rebuilt)
* When/where was suspension rebuilt? Radiator and interior redone.
* Same for the paint job, and asking a list of anything else that was done to car.
* Where is dynamat in the car and the black stuff (what's that black tar coating)?
* What does he know about the trunk leak and where it is coming from?
* Is he aware of any fuel delivery issue or the source of that problem?
* Has he had any rust repair quotes?

I am going to tell him what issues I have run into so far with the car breaking down. Replaced points, condencer, starter cable/solenoid, generator, and voltage regulator. Had carb, timing, distributor cap adjusted. Battery charged a couple times. But car still broke down after each of these things. Carb was dry the last time and it appears this is a fuel delivery issue from rusted gas tank, or a bad pump or fuel line.

I don't plan on being accusatory or blaming him for anything. I just want to know what he knows b/c it will save me time and money in the attempt to fix the real causes of these problems. I suspect some good parts were swapped out by a mechanic who did not properly diagnose the issues with this car. Want to avoid that from happening again.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Experienced

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180716_115003.jpg (137.1 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by YellowRose : 08-16-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 08-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Apprentice

Derbird is on a distinguished road

Unless that tank has been replaced in the last 10 years, I would replace it and would consider a new fuel line. You wouldn’t believe the amount of crap that can build up in the fuel line from sitting and then new gas and driving will start to dislodge it, especially if you are running an ethanol blend.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Kirsten - sorry - didn't get a pic of the kido's in the car but I should have. Camera was in the trunk and I don't have a smart phone

You might ask about the gas tank. Could be the same trouble I had with the coating coming off and stopping up the screen. I guess replacing it would probably be best. I know what you're saying though - don't spend the money if it's not necessary. If you do replace it I'd follow Dave's advice and order one - then take it to someone to have it replaced (cuts out the middle-man mark-up on the cost of the tank).

I've used Dynamat alot. It's really only a sound reducer but has a very small amount of heat shielding. It's as you described - just a thin foil with a stick black backing (and I mean sticky). I used it most recently on an MG restoration and my Tbird A/C evaporator box that's on the firewall. I guess someone could use it to cover up rust.

That black stuff could very well be POR (paint over rust). I've used it quite a bit too but not to "paint over rust". It makes a great thick coating for the MG frames (or any other metal) after media blasting. That black stuff in the base of the trunk is brittle and hopefully it was just used to stabilize it although that does look like a bit of rust around the sending unit.

The water in the trunk could be from a bad trunk seal. Does your car have the trunk seal in place? Probably all squished down and old if it's the original. Darn - thought I had a pic of mine - it's the original and is getting pretty hard.

Hope the PO understands your reason for the ?'s and isn't a butt about it.

Eric
Old 08-16-2018, 10:21 PM
Experienced

Ok another issue tonight. Car started right up but the GEN light was lit up whenever I touched the accelerator. When I wasn't on the accelerator the light was off. When I used turn signal the GEN light was nsync to it.

So does this mean the generator isn't charging the battery?

Could it be the battery is toast? The mechanic changed the generator and VR last visit and said the battery was fine. But I question that bc the battery could've taken a jolt when the car originally broke down. One terminal melted off basically. Could the mechanic be that dumb though? He charged me $600 to change those things would be be that incompetent. I asked him specifically to check the battery for damage to the cells.

Is this normal for the light to do this? Since the headlights are on the Gen light is much more noticeable. When the headlights/dash lights are off it's less noticeable. Please advise?

Thanks and really sorry to ask so many questions I promise you I would rather not need to be asking.

Is it easy to have battery tested by bringing car somewhere where they will test for free and then install a battery if you need to buy one? What battery does it take? I want to look up the cost in case I need it.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:39 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Sometimes when the Gen light comes on as you accelerate it means the belt is slipping. You can normally hear it squealing though. A battery that has bad cells will not take a charge so that's a possibility. You can take your car to Autozone or Advance Auto and they will check it for you. If you need a battery a 27F will fit your car and is the most common Ford battery. Any auto store should have one and they should install it for you. Most batteries are going to run around $100.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm