X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Squarebird Hood Hinges

Has anyone been successful working with the hood hinges to get the hood to stay open? There is a place in N. Cali that lists the springs, but when I called them, they do not have the springs for the squarebird. I checked McMaster Carr and couldn't find a close match. I'm afraid of buying a used hinge for fear it will do the same thing mine is doing now. I'm thinking of trying to stretch the springs or shim them for a little more tension. Anyone had any luck with this?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm not sure what kind of trouble you're having. My hood stays open fine. I've had dozens of squarebirds and can't remember that being a big problem. If you can get another set of hinges I would give that a try.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• yellow98cobra
      Experienced
      • May 28 2012

My hood wont stay open if I am on an incline ( Car Ramps, Floor jack etc...) I have a couple pieces of 2" x 4" x 12" Cardboard I slip in there to keep it open.
      Yellow98Cobra
      1960 Thunderbird HT
      Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
      There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
      http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

"jopizz" that is AMAZING!! None of your Birds had this issue??

Worn/stretched hood hinges seems to be a major problem with these cars now, some even have the trunk spring woes.

Shimming them or simply making a hood support rod seem to be the two most popular options for our members on here..

-Jon in TX.
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That's one of the advantages of being in the NE I guess. A little rust keeps those hinges from sagging.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• newbird59
            Experienced
            • Dec 27 2011

Haha. Maybe a little rust can fix your problem! (kidding)

I have two birds (one parts car and another that I'm restoring) and both don't have that problem.

I didn't think that this was a big issue. But I do have hinges and springs that I would sell off the parts car if you need them. Just let me know.

EDIT: Although...They were both sitting for a long time so maybe that has something to do with it. They weren't opened a lot.

-David
            1960 Thunderbird
            429 TJ
            C6 Tranny
            Under Construction

Comment

Mine stays open ...

but just hanging a set of a/c gauges on it makes it a pretty dicey affair. Just like us (depending on your mileage and service history) parts get old and wear out. Mike

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

Someone on the site did a post about making a small bracket to keep the hood open if you have weak springs or a heavy hood from body work. Don't remember who it was, but I would like to thank you for the post. Hopefully you will read this. I made a bracket today out of stainless steel and it seems to work great. No more broom stick holding the hood up. I'm willing to put the bracket in and out as needed. I read back on the posts, and some were talking about rust helping to keep the hood open. That may be more realistic than one realizes. My hood was marginal to stay open, and the hinges were making a little noise when opening and closing, so I put some oil on them. After that the hood was like a boat anchor. ;-) I'll post some pics of the little bracket that I made, but as I said, it was the idea of another member on the site. I should have included a pic of the hood staying open with the bracket in place, but I forgot to take that pic. Next time.
                Nyles
                Attached Files

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                  Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Myles a lot of members have this issue with the hood springs due to losing temper in the springs. My wife's 58 had them redone and my 60 so far is okay. Your ( other members ) idea of the insert is great to hold it in the up position. I might even go so far as to have 2 so both sides re secure and not putting pressure on one side to hold the weight. Might put hood out of alignment
                  Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                  Thunderbird Registry
                  58HT #33317
                  60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Tbird1044
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jul 31 2012

Dan:
                    I had that concern also, but it really doesn't take much to keep the hood open. I started experimenting by just inserting a screwdriver into the spring to see how much was required to keep it up. I did template the brace, so I can always cut another one out if needed.
                    I've also been talking to the Birdhouse, as they have new springs available for the 61-64 Birds. Charles was going to check on getting springs made for the Squarebirds, but I never heard back.
                    Nyles

Comment

• cuul59
                      Apprentice
                      • Jun 13 2005

Hood Springs

Nyles,
                      Thanks for the simple and easy to manage solution. I will likely make one for my '59. Any chance you can post the template? Otherwise I will just figure it out.

As for replacement springs, I am wondering if none of the Bird parts guys are willing to source them, then maybe I can try. If there's anyone out there who can suggest a source to have these made, please let me know. I'd be willing to buy them and sell them at cost to any interested members.
                      Neil
                      1959 Turquoise Convertible “CUUL59”

Comment

• Tbird1044
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jul 31 2012

Neil:
                        Before I ended up stretching my hood springs, I shopped around for a vendor to make new ones. I had all the info, spring diameter, wire diameter, number of coils, etc and never did find anyone willing to make them. I'm not even sure I saved all the info.
                        If I take a picture of the template, I'm not sure how to make it come across full size so it would be usable. Any ideas?
                        Nyles

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎