X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wickdogg
    • Sep 16 2007

My Pitted Princess! 60HT Thunderbird

Hello All,
    I thought I should post a few of my pictures straight from Photobucket. This is my 1960 Ford Thunderbird HT I bought in the beginning of 2006. It is Raven Black with Red interior. This particular car sat in a disconnected garage with little environmental protection for close to 20 years. The car was roughly 99% original when I got it. I bought it in the condition shown in the first four pictures. I have many more pics. The car had 50,060 miles on it and had not been started in more than 15 years. The 352 had the chrome package and most of it was pitted extremely bad. This pitting continued throughout the interior and on every chrome piece on the car. This is where she got her name "The Pitted Princess". I knew that it would be a bit of work to make it all look presentable. With no brakes it had to be towed to my place where the restoring began. I have a small garage and limited resources so I did what I could. Since the beginning I have restored all of the chrome to a presentable shine with new chrome pieces awaiting to be installed after paint. I have replaced the entire braking system, dash pad, painted the steering wheel, restored the windows to operating condition, new water pump, tires, taillight assembly restoration, and countless amounts of hardware. I know I am missing countless other items and projects because I am still at it to this day. The pictures at the bottom are of some of the completed work. the car is now running and I have put a few miles on her. I have still not attempted the highway just yet. Right now she is a presentable daily type driver that turns heads everywhere. I am in the process of saving money to paint the car back to the original raven black. She needs it even though you can still see yourself in the original paint. There are some rough spots. If you have questions just post and let me know. Thanks for looking.

Aric

In the begining

As of the past few months

• bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

You've done a great job on the things that you tackled. The dash area is really nice. The engine compartment is coming along great too.

I wouldn't worry about the paint untill you get all of the mechanical work that you want done.

I'm kind of bias because I have the exact same color exterior and interior. Looking good !!!!
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• dgs
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2003

Nice work. I too have got a '60 in the same combination - Raven Black and Red leather. If the rest of your seats are as nice as the corner I see in the dash picture, count your blessings. Mine are quite cracked and split and new covers and foam is about $2,000. Ouch.

My car started in about the same condition. My paint is slightly better, but I've got a bit of bondo in my rockers. Slowly I'm getting things done. I've panted/dyed most of the interior, redone my brakes, got some aluminum wheels and this summer rebuilt my front end. I'm really looking forward to being able to drive it with confidence now this spring.
      DGS (aka salguod)
      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
      www.salguod.net

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Aric the progress has been remarkable from your pixs and as we all know, it is a project. You should be proud of your efforts to date and as mentioned, the paint can always be completed after the mechanical areas are dealt with. Then it's cruisin time on the highways.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

Yes, ur doing the old gal good!! Thanks 4 sharing the pics and keep up the good work. BTW, I also agree, save the paint for last...
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• wickdogg
            • Sep 16 2007

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate all of the positive comments. It seems like every time you fix something, something else breaks. I am currently dealing with a rusting problem in the trunk and some mystery black sealant in there. I will be posting some newer pictures here soon when I can get the time to take them. Once again thanks all for the comments.

Aric

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎