Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gene Cooper
    • Jun 9 2018

59 Conv. AM FM, Bluetooth 1, Radio

Has anyone installed the radio from Vintage Car Radio with the DVC Speakers that's suppose to fit the 59 convertible speaker counsel, the unit at $544.95 just for the radio seems a bit pricey planning trip up the PCH San Diego to Seattle needs some good tunes any suggestions
  • kimmc
    Experienced
    • Mar 5 2014

radio...

Yeah, I thought about the same issue. New AM-FM radio to fit our '59 seemed like an awful lot to spend when reception on a road trip would not be real good. We opted for the option we use in our truck on trips with our 5th wheel. We use a blue tooth wireless speaker to play music from our play lists from our phones. Works great, we listen to stuff we like, and we are not constantly turning the dial looking for a new station with better reception. It's a lot cheaper too. Kim

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

59 Conv. AM FM, Bluetooth 1, Radio

Something else that can be done is to figure out how to install and hook up a USB thumb drive receptacle in your Tbird. Then you can do what I do in my 2015 Ford Focus. I have a SanDisk Cruzer 32GB mini-thumb drive like in this Amazon link below installed inside my flip up center console between the seats where it cannot be seen. It has over 1,000 of my favorite songs on it, including all the songs about Tbirds that I could find. I just set it to play continuously or shuffle and let it play. I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore, unless I want to catch a game that is on, or check for news. Here is that link and as you can see these tiny thumb drives only cost about $10!

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruze...ni+thumb+drive

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• del
        Retired Expert Enthusiast
        • May 11 2010

sounds about right

Originally posted by Gene Cooper
        Has anyone installed the radio from Vintage Car Radio with the DVC Speakers that's suppose to fit the 59 convertible speaker counsel, the unit at $544.95 just for the radio seems a bit pricey planning trip up the PCH San Diego to Seattle needs some good tunes any suggestions

Hi Kim,
        I'm not familiar with the radio conversion that you mentioned but that price sounds about right, as compared to the Gary Tayman AM/FM conversion. That one uses stock dash plate and radio chassis. Push buttons work as expected. Fade and balance accomplished via the stock knobs. Pretty cool design. I didn't do the bluetooth option but it is available. I also didn't do a console speaker. I have Stealth 1 Undercover subs under the front seats and 4"speakers in the front kick panels.
        Regards,
        Don Vincent
        Amherst NY
        1960 HT 352
        TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• kimmc
          Experienced
          • Mar 5 2014

'59 conv. AM/FM Bluetooth radio

Hey Del (Don Vincent); the Bose Bluetooth wireless speaker that I use instead of a radio is not a radio conversion that fits the car. Google Bose Soundlink Mini Bluetooth speaker II to read about it. It's about $180 and has real good sound. It can be moved from home to the cars or RV and will play music from your personal playlist. Also, I avoided all the hassle of installing a stereo system in our '59 convertible. It probably would not be to everyone's liking but it works for us.

Comment

• sidewalkman
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 14 2015

I use a JBL Bluetooth speaker, even came in red to match my interior, but you don't get a ton of volume. I don't want to put an additional holes in my interior and regardless of what radio you get you're going to have to put speakers some place. The under seat ones seem to work but treble is directional and so it seems like it's not going to be the best sound so again youre settling for something.
            House of Marley makes a Bluetooth unit, it's portable and you can put it on the back seat or behind the front seats on the floor, and as far as Bluetooth goes it pounds, you can get pretty much a full day on one charge too. A friend got one for his old Duster and it's 10 times better than my JBL.
            Scott
            South Delta, BC, Canada
            1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
            Red Leather Interior!
            www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
            Thunderbird Registry #61266
            http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢