X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eschober
    • Sep 4 2010

battery size

Hi all;

Could someone give me the battery measurements for one use in a 1960 TBird? I will be replacing mine and I also need to get the proper hold down kit - thanks in advance
  • Howard Prout
    Experienced
    • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by eschober
    Hi all;

Could someone give me the battery measurements for one use in a 1960 TBird? I will be replacing mine and I also need to get the proper hold down kit - thanks in advance
    You want a Group 27F battery, preferably with a minimum 1000 CCA (cold cranking amps). A Group 27C has the terminals reversed. Most good battery shops will have or can get a 27F. Most high volume outlets such as Canadian Tire and WalMart no longer carry 27F batteries, but I think Costco does.
    sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

I recently purchased a battery. Was told it was an exact replacement of the original in size but would not have the Power Punch emblem like the originals. It's actually a Ford Motorcraft battery!!! Only 420 Cranking amps even though it is a fleet commercial battery. Came from a local independent battery dealer not one of the big chains (all the big guys said they did not have the right size).
      L=12 3/8 W=5 1/2 H=9 including post so it doesn't conform to the chart I found and posted below but that's what it measures. It is not shown installed in the picture below but the hold down bracket does fit so I think it is correct. You can order a correct dry battery from the Tbird parts houses and have a local shop put the acid in and charge it - most Tbird specialty parts houses also carry the hold down rods and bracket.

The battery is a group 29. Part # CLA C29NF $91.96

Eric
      registry 5347

OOooo - here's something nice - a battery size chart!

Last edited by DKheld; October 13, 2010, 07:44 PM. Reason: Found the chart and posted the measurements

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎