Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WPD
    • Jul 11 2015

Carb Fuel line Modification / Factory to Edelbrock

I have a new Edelbrock 650 Carb to replace the factory model on my 60 Bird. Prior to installation we noticed the fuel inlet location on the Edelbrock is at the passenger rear side compared to the factory installed front inlet location.

Curious what other members have experienced for this modification of the fuel line to Carb installation. Is a fuel line rubber hose sufficient for long term or would the more time consuming method be better to get a use a tube bender?

Thx,

Walter
    Walter Danalevich
    owner/mgr.
    Santa Barbara Auto Refinishing
    www.sbautobody.com
  • Sherman
    Experienced
    • Aug 22 2009

I bent a new line. It is tedious and more time consuming but safety is essential.

Use a coat hanger to mock up where the bends are needed and just take your time.

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I just used rubber line from the original metal line to the carburetor. It's less than a foot so it's not a big deal. I would just keep it high enough so it doesn't lay on the manifold.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I think most mechanics would go with John's suggestion because time is money.

I already have a flaring tool and a hand bender so I bend mine, all the way to the fuel pump. I also bent my vacuum line for the brake booster.

Anywhere connections go from the solid body (frame) to the vibrating engine, I use rubber hose that is suitable.

Awhile back I suspected my fuel line was dumping back to tank when I shut the engine off. Fuel pumps have a check valve that maintains head pressure to the carb and suction to the tank. I'm cheap and didn't want to buy another pump so I connected a two dollar plastic check valve in that rubber hose by the frame. (My fuel filter is back at the tank.)

Bent hard lines can look ugly very fast but properly routed lines with crisp bends look stunning. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Joe Johnston
          Super-Experienced
          • Dec 23 2008

Bent hard lines can look ugly very fast but properly routed lines with crisp bends look stunning. - Dave
          I have to agree and once the lines are bent to my satisfaction, I have removed the ones under the hood, clean and polish a bit, and then spray clear urethane on them to maintain shine and not discolor. Many street rods have them painted to match or contrast the car's color. A good look that shows a bit more attention to detail. My problems are not with the bending but keeping the straight sections perfectly straight and parallel if another is running beside it.

Comment

• WPD
            • Jul 11 2015

Hey John, thanks for the recommendation that we agree with going forward on. By any chance do you have any pics of the throttle linkage spring location from a 1960 390 engine?

When I purchased this 1960 Bird restoration project, among other things, the spring from the linkage to carb were missing.

Originally posted by jopizz
            I just used rubber line from the original metal line to the carburetor. It's less than a foot so it's not a big deal. I would just keep it high enough so it doesn't lay on the manifold.

John
            Walter Danalevich
            owner/mgr.
            Santa Barbara Auto Refinishing
            www.sbautobody.com

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I sent you an email. There wasn't a 390 available in 1960. Only a 352. Are you sure you have a 390.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎