X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SandyBoy
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 31 2002

GOLDE TOP

I wish you well in the creation of a much needed 1958-1960 board devoted to these unique T-Birds. I hope many others who enjoy these cars find their way here.

Is it true that the Golde-Top Birds of the vintage were called so because they came with a gold vinyl top, or was it a gold painted top?;-)

(Now YOU TOO can come over to the ascMcLaren board and swear on your life that you TOO have seen a 1983 ascMcLaren !)
    :P x( x( x( :+ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ascmclaren/
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: GOLDE TOP

Sandy,

Welcome to the board. As you well know there has been a lot of misinformation propogated over the past forty years about the 1960 Golde Top Thunderbirds. The West German company that made the sunroofs for these cars was called Golde. There were about 2500 of these cars made. Over the years the information had been distorted that there were Gold roofed or Golden roofed thunderbird built in 1960. Some literature reports that these roofs were gold vinyl similar in tecture to that use on the Kaiser Dragons. Some people have even sworn that they have seen them in this form. Curiously, the number of Golden Top cars has also been the same as the number of sunroof equipped cars - 2500.

The computer cars included in the roof of the sunroof of these cars may have lead to the confusion since there is actually a "Golde Top Paint Order" printed on the card. These cards were made so the sunroofs could painted the same color as the rest of the roof. Apparently the sunroofs were painted separately.

For more information see: http://www.squarebirds.org/1960_gold...unch_cards.htm .

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• Rockin Kev
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2002

Well done for this site Alex and just to let you know that i will pass on details of this site to Thunderbirds of England as i am in the middle of writing an article for the club. Also i have Telephoned Lou Paliani at the V.T.C.I.about the Golde Top register and he would like some details about the site if you can get a link going and a joint register for the Lincoln 430s. You can contact him at
      LPALIANI@satx.rr.com This is the best place for the register as its devoted to squarebirds only.

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

Kevin,

I will work on getting a registry set up for Golde tops and 430 equipped cars. I may make a registry for all Squarebirds. I hope to have it set up within the month.

Thanks for spreading the word.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• SandyBoy
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 31 2002

Alexander, don't 'ya know I was kidding you? I thought - I was 100% positive thatr you knew thatr I knew about them. By the way, did you order that 4-page folder from Golde that I e-mailed to you?? If you didn't - you really should! Hows, the Mark VIII's body work holding up? Are you still "in love" with the job?

So........ Exactly WHERE did you see that 1983 ascMcLaren??

I am going to check my personal production records and see if I agree with the 2,500 made figure. If different - I'll post here.
          Let's tell Pork Roast & Lincoln_Rulz & Dakarti about this place, & "liven' it up" }>

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

Sandy,

I stated, "as you well know," since I know you know. You know?

I did order that 1962 Golde Top literature. I can't wait to get it. I wonder if anything like that was published in 1960.

I am still in love with the repair paint job that Maplecrest did on my 1998 Mark VIII Collector's Edition. It looks like it did when I bought it new.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

• Rockin Kev
              Experienced
              • Oct 31 2002

Hi all whats this Golde Top book Alex that Sandy and you are talking about?. And where can i get one?. Also like the new web site lay out!.
              Alex i will send you some new Photo shots of the car as i have just returned from one of my Rock n Roll weekends. Whilst there i got to drive around Fifties Doo-wop group the Edsels that was great fun!.Also it was nice to see Steves DSO T-Bird as he has helped me with advice on how to find past owners of my Bird. As for Mikes interia well thats a simple answer.....WOW!.
              Kev.

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

Thanks for the compliment about the website. I spent half a day yesterday revising it. More work still needs to be done.

The book Sandy an I are talking about is a brochure from Golde Top from 1962. I will post pictures of it as soon as I get it. I ordered it last week.

If there was a Golde Top brochure from 1960, I sure would love to find it.

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢