Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KULTULZ

1959 TBIRD J-CODE 430 3X2

Gentlemen,

I have spent the last two years or so researching the MEL Engine Family (383-410-430-462) and have come across an early HOT ROD MAGAZINE article referring to the availability of this option on a 1959 BIRD.

QUOTE:

"For prospective Bird owners who might buy the 430 engine option and desire a bit more for competition, a triple carburetion setup is also available. This is being made by Bill Stroppe and is a modification of the Marauder manifold offered as an option last year by Mercury. This aluminum triple intake manifold uses three Ford two-barrel carburetors with vacuum controlled progressive linkage on the two outside carburetors. Normal operation is with the center carburetor only. Also included in the kit offerred by Stroppe is a cast aluminum air cleaner housing fitted with a paper filtering element. With the triple carburetion, last year's Marauder engine was rated at 400 horsepower, the only other difference being 10.5:1 compression for the Marauder."

And further on in the article:

"The automatic transmission that comes with the Lincoln engine is called Cruise-O-Matic but it is actually a Multi-Drive Merc-O-Matic."

Has anyone seen or heard of this option or was it just an early publicity release by FOMOCO that never materialized? It may have been offered just to qualify it for NASCAR competition with the HOLMAN-MOODY TBIRD's in 1959.

The option was available on LINC-MERC for 1958.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

RE: 1959 TBIRD J-CODE 430 3X2

HI
    That sounds fun and while everyone is looking into that, what are the differences between a 300HP and a 360HP 352 for that year, compression, Heads, cam lift / duration, Rods, carberator, etc.
    thanks
    mark

Comment

• 1960Bird
      Experienced
      • Dec 4 2002

360 HP 352 cu in engines were not available in Squarebirds.

Steve Ronk
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa
      1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
      390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• KULTULZ

>HI

> That sounds fun and while everyone is looking into that, what are the differences between a 300HP and a 360HP 352 for that year, compression, Heads, cam lift / duration, Rods, carberator, etc.

>thanks
        >mark

The 352/360HP was offered in the FORD line in 1960. It was FORD's return to racing after a two year abscence..

Comment

HI
          thanks for the information, that was a very interesting article. Do you know where i might get the camshaft specs for the 360hp 352 and the modifications done on the holoman / Moody thunderbird nascars, front end, brakes etc? I thought that i had read that some of the modifications on those thunderbirds came from lincohins but never new what years/models.
          thanks
          mark

Comment

• KULTULZ

>Do you know where i might get the camshaft specs for the 360hp 352 >and the modifications done on the Holman/Moody thunderbird nascars, >front end, brakes etc?

>I thought that i had read that some of the modifications on those >thunderbirds came from lincohins but never new what years/models.

>thanks
            >mark

I don't have the exact specs on that camshaft. I believe the same cam was carried over to the 1961 390/375HP along with the intake manifold and exhaust manifolds. I know the exh. manifolds will not fit a BIRD chassis. Besides, the cam is old technology and better aftermarkets can be bought now to do more with less noise and vibration.

As for what H/M did with the 1959 BIRD for competition, I do not know exactly either. Once, H/M was a high performance vendor to FOMOCO and they had their own cataloging. Thier part numbers had unique prefixs to them (C6HM for illust.) so that you could not identify the source of the part. But I am assuming much of the front suspension came from a LINCOLN in that year as the suspension and brakes were heavier. In 1960, FORD made available heavier spindles and brakes through H/M.

There is a text available describing H/M history.

Are you thinking of making a copy?

Comment

HI
              I had thought at one time trying to make a copy, selling advertising as a way to restore it, but not now. Of course we all like to be pushed back in the seat as you go thur the gears. also i am putting about 40,000 miles a year on my bird and wanted to make it as heavyduty as possible to min repairs. I have replaced the trans with a C6 and put the broke cruz to the side and was trying not to modify anything that could not be returned to stock if the mood struck, hence not drilling the block for the other style cam but enjoying the challenge of sweezing the hores out of the 352. I have a 428 that needs rebuilding for a future date and for now i am going to take the 3 X 2 off the 428 and put them on the 352. I am also hoping that will improve the gas millage. I use to get 16 mpg to the gal. out of the 428 3X2 Crane Blazer cam about .560 lift 312 duriation 110 overlap, toploader 4sp in a 59 thunderbiord conv. I have the 3X2 set up to open all the carbs evenly at once but employ a cam in the linkage so that the first 50% of the pedal inside gives you 25% at the carbs and the last 50% at the pedal gives me 75% at the carbs. My thinking when i did this is being able to feather it as well as spreading the fuel evenly down the intake, shortest distance kind of thing. Right now i am getting about 13mpg with the stock carb / intake. Like everybody i want the best of both worlds.
              thanks
              mark
              maybe this will work http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_FojEK...6s5rZsDWU2xL6x

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎