X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric S
    Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Thank you John
    I just had a closer look at the roller bearings after I removed the grease.
    One is different (and loose its balls !) so I guess I will order a set of bearings.
    I suppose I am not supposed to get 1 different?

Comment

• Eric S
      Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

I also realise now on the computer that the parts sold by dealers comes with no bearings, that the bearings can not be ordered on Bird Nest but I see them on the pictures below from DKheld

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That was an aftermarket kit. The original idler arms did not have bearings.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Eric S
          Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Sorry I am away from my garage and would like to order the parts today.
          If I have the aftermarket kit with bearings, do I have special (shorter) bushings?
          So if I want to get back to factory condition, should I just remove the bearings, shorter bushings and just replace with 2 new bushings?

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Eric S
            So if I want to get back to factory condition, should I just remove the bearings, shorter bushings and just replace with 2 new bushings?
            Yes, that's correct. Just for your info the bushings have to be pressed into place. Pressing the one into the bracket is not that difficult because the bracket is easily removable from the frame. Pressing the bushing into the center link is a little more difficult.

John

Comment

• Eric S
              Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

I went to my garage and checked the part.
              So I am going to loose the greasers on these parts when I will have changed the bushings.
              Is there any thing to know to grease them on assembly?

Comment

• Eric S
                Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

I am back from holidays and received the parts.

As I asked earlier
                Is there any thing to know to grease the idler arms busshing on assembly?

Now,
                I have to lift the engine to change the pan oil gasket.
                I will remove the exhaust manifolds as they will be worked on. What else I need to take off the engine to lift it?
                I will change the mounts for new ones in the process.

I will work on the power assit "pump"? as I received new bushings, repairs parts ...
                Is it a difficult piece of engineering to work on or is it just a matter of strippingoff the old parts, paint it and reassemble using the new parts?
                Any special tools needed?

3. On the bushings (idler arms, steering, ...) any chance to install them using heated parts and cold bushings or do I have to find a press?

Hopefully I can work on the car later this week and make things move forward, thanks to you all...
                Last edited by Eric S; October 23, 2020, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Put some grease around the idler arm before you install it in the bushings. I've heard some people say they put the bushings in the freezer. I've never tried it so I don't know if it helps installing them or not. I guess it couldn't hurt. Don't use heat near the bushings. It can melt the rubber.

Be careful jacking up the engine too far if you have the radiator hoses installed. You may want to remove them if the car is not going to be used for awhile.

What do you mean by power assist pump? Are you talking about the under dash unit or the ram cylinder.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                    Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Sorry yes it's the ram cylinder

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Eric S
                      Sorry yes it's the ram cylinder
                      Getting the old seals out can be tricky. You may need a pick with a hook on the end so you can get all the way down to pull them out.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                        Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Made some plans today to put everything together.

On the rear springs, I will install ANTI-SQUEAK LEAF SPRING PADS
                        Should I use grease or anything there? I am surprised that they are hard plastic. Do not know how long they'll last !

Same for REAR SPRING PAD MOUNTING PLATE and SPRING AXLE PADS. Any grease?

How tight do I want to tighten the Idler arms nuts. They are pinned. Do I have to force to get the next tight spot or unscrew to release pressure?

I ordered coil spring insulators but get only 1 pair. My mistake as I guess I need one on each side of each spring for a total of 4. Am I right?
                        Last edited by Eric S; August 29, 2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Don't use any grease. That will just attract dirt. Install everything dry.

Torque the bolts to 50 ft lbs. Back the nut off if you need to insert the pin. Don't over tighten.

Only the top of the spring gets an insulator so two is all you need.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                            Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

I ordered a Hood Pad Set as mine was not so nice, at least I had the feeling.
                            It was fluffy. Parts seems to be glued in place and parts are just the size of the holes in the hood.
                            Replacement from Bird Nest has a fluffy side, a smoother side and are larger than the hole.
                            It looks like I could slide them in place with no (or few) glue.
                            But what side motor side?
                            If I have to use the fluffy side, I think I will stay with the old parts...

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Squarebirds did not use that type of insulation. They only had thick tar paper. If you choose to use it the insulation (fluffy) side gets glued to the hood and the rigid side is out.

John

Comment

• Eric S
                                Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Since I have something already installed and it's not nice, I will have to remove it and to make it nice again would be too much time consuming so I will install the new set.
                                Stange as the 2nd 1960 I have also have (although different) the same type of insulation. Seem to have been popular at one time.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎