This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:17 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnston View Post
...We may think all components of a series are the same but when the actual parts are examined, we find differences...
That's why I reference the Ford Master Parts Catalogs. Even Mac's doesn't know that the same rollers fit 1953 & 54 Ford cars because their guys didn't know how to translate Ford manuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
...Are they the metal ones that someone said they had a problem with in a previous post?..
That doesn't matter. If one of our members is making them out of real brass, end of story. Martin's only concern is dimensions for fitment and he's got that down pat.

Parts houses and eBay sellers really doesn't matter to me. I'm buying from a Squarebirds.org member for many good reasons.

The original part was a hollow sheet metal stamping that contacted the pin on two ends but nothing in the middle. The holes elongated, turned egg-shape and they rusted into a piece of crap. Martin turns his rollers from solid brass. That's quality that I want in my classics. Good moly lithium grease on the pin will keep water away and stop rust from forming.

I reused all the parts from my original rollers except for the main body. The conical washer was ok, the spring and flat washer was ok and the "E" clip was just fine.

Martin, if you want to make a die for pressing a washer into a conical shape, use mild steel: Grind a drill bit at 45 degrees and dimple a block of steel the depth you want the washer to be. Then drill a center hole in it the size of the washer's ID. Turn a punch from mild stock with a pilot sticking out that fits the center hole in your female die and taper from the root at 45 degrees.
Place a flat washer in your die, lower your punch on it and smack it with a hammer. The washer will form beautifully and it will expand from the center hole, so it won't stick to the punch.

I made a die for #8 trim screw washers because I couldn't find them anywhere. Now the screws and conical washers are stainless. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-22-2014, 04:26 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Brass Window Rollers?

Nyles ~ Tbird1044 sent me this information.

"Here is a picture of the large white nylon rollers needed for the 1/4 windows. There are actually 2 rollers per window. One roller has the sliding bracket attached and the other is pressed into the frame and locked in by melting the nylon on the backside. If you send the frames out for chrome, these need to be removed. We lost one of the rollers, and the ones that are installed in the frame are not available, so I bought the roller with the sliding part attached, remove that part and used the roller in the second location. I just drilled the shaft of the roller and installed a screw with a washer to retain it. The rollers are identical, they just differ in how they are attached. I found the roller listed on Macsautoparts and the part numbers are on the picture."

Nyles had this to say also regarding that one picture that shows a new white roller just sitting there out of position. "I set a roller on the window frame just as a comparison for the 2 rollers. The rollers themselves are interchangeable. The way they are mounted is totally different. The one that has a guide attached to the roller, slides in the lower track. The other roller has a shaft that is inserted into the frame."

Thanks also for the additional information, Dave ~ simplyconnected.

If I understand this correctly, the white plastic rollers (Part# 29898) shown in these pix are not the same as the window regulator posts roller assembly with the retaining clip and conical washer, spring and flat washer (Part# 23240) on them. Regarding these two large rollers in the pix below, Nyles said these larger white rollers are only used on the windows and are basically what makes the quarter window go part way UP and then switch direction to go FORWARD to meet up with the door glass. These two big plastic rollers could also cause adjustment problems if they are warped, worn or broken. If you go through the adjustment procedure trying to get the adjustment right, check all those rollers on that window system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quarter window Roller.kpg.JPG (18.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3149.jpg (81.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3749.jpg (95.5 KB, 175 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 07-23-2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 07-23-2014, 05:51 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Does anyone knows what material these are made of? Metal or plastic? http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_th..._Category_Door
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 07-23-2014, 06:18 PM

I just spoke with a parts guy at Mac's. According to the catalog he was reading from the roller itself is made of nylon.... So there ya go! That should answer the question regarding that item that Mac's sells... The unit that CASCO sells for the '55-'57 Tbirds (which also fits the '58-'60 Tbirds) is 23240M Description Window Roller-All Metal.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 07-25-2014, 04:50 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
I just spoke with a parts guy at Mac's. According to the catalog he was reading from the roller itself is made of nylon.... So there ya go! That should answer the question regarding that item that Mac's sells... The unit that CASCO sells for the '55-'57 Tbirds (which also fits the '58-'60 Tbirds) is 23240M Description Window Roller-All Metal.
How can we check that? And also, are they the same size?
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 07-25-2014, 06:56 PM

Anders, if you are asking how can we check whether or not these parts are made of nylon or metal, the answer is this. Their information regarding these parts state they are made of nylon, for the Mac's one and of metal for the CASCO one. As for the size, they are stated to be the same size as the part #'s given for our Squarebirds. (Part# 23240) BA-7023240-A for the '58-'59 and C0AB6423240-B for the 1960 Squarebird.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 03-20-2016, 02:02 PM

Richard Honeycutt is on a distinguished road
Default CASCO Metal Window Rollers

I tried ordering a set of metal window rollers from CASCO. They show them in the catalog and I added them to my cart, but when I tried to check out the cart shows nothing added. I tried several times, so I'm wondering if they are no longer available. Any one ordered them lately?
Regards,
Richard Honeycutt
Blue Angel
Old 03-20-2016, 09:07 PM

I would suggest that you call CASCO tomorrow double check on these rollers. They might still have some. It would not hurt to make a call.

"It's Hip To Be Square"