This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:48 PM

62-TBird is on a distinguished road

So I will end up putting the new bolt in basically the same place as the old bolt with the old bolt surrounding it? I'm confused😂 I gave you my number, if you could call that would be great as texting from under a car, while it is snowing outside and you can't feel your fingers is pretty hard😂 Dad won't let me use his garage ( everyone in the family has a garage, my dad and mum share a 6 car in another neighbors back yard, my dad has 67 Camaro, 71 gto, 32 ford, 36 dodge and all the lifts available! Yet he doesn't like the fact I got a ford so I am not using them his first ford broke down, so now he doesn't like them! He's very strict and holds a grudge for a while!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Can you send me an email with a picture of the bracket so I can see exactly what you are dealing with. I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. Include your phone number.

John
jopizz@verizon.net

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I spoke with Zak over the phone and I offered to fix his part if he sends it to me.

Zak is from England. We spoke while he pulled his water pump. The kid reminds me of my self at that age. (I once changed a Mustang water pump for a guy in a K-mart parking lot while it was snowing.) - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-01-2016, 11:55 PM

Could someone give me a pretty detailed instruction on how to tear apart the engine and pull it? Like what to take of first, carb intake manifold wires etc, gonna pull heads again and then gonna pull engine, just don't know what order to do it in😥 Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2016, 01:32 AM

Since Dave said that you already removed the water pump I'll skip that step. You will need to remove the heater hose from the intake manifold. Remove the upper radiator hose from the overflow tank. Remove the fuel line, return spring, heat tube and vacuum advance line from the carb and remove it. Put rags or tape over the holes in the intake so nothing accidentally falls in. Disconnect the accelerator rod and the kickdown rod where they connect to the intake linkage. Remove the vacuum hose that goes from the intake to the brake booster. Unplug the wires from the spark plugs and coil and remove the distributor cap. Leave the wires on the cap. Disconnect the wires from the coil, oil sender and temp sender and move the harness out of the way. Unbolt the coil bracket and remove it. Mark where the rotor tip is on the distributor body so you can install it in the same place if necessary. Unbolt and remove the distributor and hope that the oil pump rod doesn't come out with it. Remove the valve covers if you haven't already done so. You should now be able to unbolt and remove the intake. If you don't have an engine hoist this will require help as it weighs a ton. You can also leave the intake on and pull the engine that way. It's up to you. I like to remove as much as possible including the heads when I pull an FE engine because of how heavy it is. You will need to remove other items like the transmission cooler lines, alternator and power steering pump before you pull the engine. It would be a big help if you had a shop manual. If you don't have one send me an email. Hope this helps. If there's something I forgot I'm sure someone will chime in and let you know. It helps to take lots of pictures while you are doing the disassembly.

John

Old 02-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Zak, let's not get too carried away. Your engine is only 10,000 miles old since it was overhauled. There should be no reason to pull it. I am interested to know why this needs to be done. Only change gaskets that leak. Save the remaining gasket set for sometime down the road, like in case you blow a head gasket.

At the factory, the engine and transmission were dropped into your car as one unit, complete with exhaust manifolds and 'final dress'. Final Dress means your starter, generator, A/C and all the pulleys and belts were already there. They simply dropped the radiator in later. As John said, this is VERY heavy and it requires quality equipment your life can depend on (because it does). They also used two men, one running the hoist and the other in a pit to guide the trans tail shaft and align the motor mounts. These two guys work every day with each other and they work together like a sports team. Two unfamiliar guys can be very dangerous to each other.

Engine and trans separation is easy but assembly is much harder. It's easier when done outside the car. There is less chance of breaking parts as the engine needs to be rotated by hand during assembly.

I wouldn't attempt pulling/dropping with an engine hoist rated less than 2-ton (4,000 lb or 1,800 kg). Once the boom outstretches, the rating quickly goes down.

If you can leave the engine in the car, do it. Take lots of before and after pictures as you go. They will show the order in which parts go together. Carefully bag all your bolts and parts because you WILL lose track of where they go.

The FE has a definite disassembly order, unlike Chevy engines. Part of the intake manifold is under the valve covers and the pushrods go through it. So, pull the valve covers, pull the rocker shafts (paying close attention to which bolts came from what hole) and pull the pushrods out and keep them in order. Then, you can pull the intake manifold. Any other disassembly order will not work. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-02-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
The FE has a definite disassembly order, unlike Chevy engines. Part of the intake manifold is under the valve covers and the pushrods go through it. So, pull the valve covers, pull the rocker shafts (paying close attention to which bolts came from what hole) and pull the pushrods out and keep them in order. Then, you can pull the intake manifold. Any other disassembly order will not work. - Dave
Ah, I knew I forgot something. It's a lot easier doing it than remembering how.

John

Old 02-03-2016, 01:12 AM

I will be pulling the engine to replace head gaskets, ( got wrong ones) and to change all the freeze plugs; and to get I checked for cracks; just got some recent news from the old owner saying the weather was past freezing and told us to check the block; I also want to clean and paint The car and engin bay, I am Semi fimiliar about how the top half of the ford differed to the Chevy, have taken the heads off for that one! Also, accidentally dropped a wrench and took out some metal along where the headlights go, just behind them; can you get a replacement panel for that? I appreciate you guys trying to caution me away from this but I have a mechanic friend helping some days(ASE certified) and all he works on now is classic! Unless there is a way to fully scrub the engine down and clean it and paint the engine bay?
Old 02-03-2016, 01:29 AM

There's not much room in those engine compartments. If you want to clean and paint it the engine needs to come out. If there's any question at all about the health of the block you are better off tearing it apart and making sure. You don't want to be throwing money at something that's got serious problems. There are plenty of 390's out there if yours is too far gone. If it turns out to be good then you'll get a good education in rebuilding FE motors. If you search through past threads you'll find some that deal with improving the oiling system. I'm sure Dave has some tips that you can do to improve on the design.

John