This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
  #1  
Old 01-10-2016, 09:01 PM
ramos291 ramos291 is offline
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 18 2014
Posts: 66
ramos291 is on a distinguished road
Default later model brake booster

Has anyone switched out their brake booster to a later/newer type brake booster. I have a 61 Tbird with original booster (rebuilt) and a dual master cylinder that was for a later model Mustang. I am not super happy with the rebuilt one and feel there might be a vacuum leak due to the way the car bounces while in drive and brake pressed. I can't seem to stop that movement so I think I could be the booster. Plus I am told it is not strong enough for converting to disk.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2016, 10:10 AM
DKheld's Avatar
DKheld DKheld is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: Aug 27 2008
Posts: 1,431
DKheld is on a distinguished road
Default

Is the later model Mustang master cyl the drum / drum or disc / drum style?

Did you add a proportioning or combination valve to the system when you installed your new master cyl?

10+ years back I converted my Squarebird to front discs and used the original booster - still working fine. Booster Dewey rebuilt it and changed the face with a Lincoln booster to accept a modern disc/drum master cyl. I also used a combination valve since I split the old single line system into two separate front disc rear drum systems. Believe you will need a proportioning or combination valve now that you have a split system. Mine does not dive or bounce - stops super nice.

The original booster should work just not as much boost as the newer dual stage boosters.

We run into a different set of problems with the Squarebird - the booster is riveted to the mounting bracket so it either has to be cut off or install a new booster and bracket. Replacing the bracket and booster only recently became an option for us - had been that cutting the old booster off and replacing was the only option (and then there is the problem with interference on the evaporator on the A/C cars - sheesh). From what I remember you can remove the style on the '61 and just bolt on a dual action booster - correct?

May be an adjustment thing too - I know the push rod length from the master cyl to the booster is adjustable on the Squarebird which makes the booster activate differently.

Here's my original style Bendix booster with the new master cyl.



and my combination valve which was supposed to go under the new master cyl but there was not enough room. Plus the bolt on the booster was not long enough so it ended up on the frame. I had planned on re-plumbing the lines to make it look good but it worked so well I just never got around to it.




Here's a link to a recent conversion and the booster parts used.

http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19046

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2016, 08:13 PM
ramos291 ramos291 is offline
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 18 2014
Posts: 66
ramos291 is on a distinguished road
Default

I am not sure about the master cylinder but im guessing its drum/drum. My booster looks alot like yours but it uses screws instead of rivets. Yes, I did add a proportioning valve. I also have Drewey rebuild my booster and he is who bolted the master cylinder to the booster. When I speak of the car bouncing I am referring to the car being in Drive at idle. When it is just idling the bouncing mostly smooths out or goes away. Thank you for your reply.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-15-2016, 11:45 AM
RustyNCa RustyNCa is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 31 2007
Posts: 1,300
RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos291 View Post
I am not sure about the master cylinder but im guessing its drum/drum. My booster looks alot like yours but it uses screws instead of rivets. Yes, I did add a proportioning valve. I also have Drewey rebuild my booster and he is who bolted the master cylinder to the booster. When I speak of the car bouncing I am referring to the car being in Drive at idle. When it is just idling the bouncing mostly smooths out or goes away. Thank you for your reply.
I'm not sure what you mean by bouncing?

When I converted to disc on my 58, I went all GM with the master and booster. It's a Corvette master, 7" dual booster and disc/drum proportioning valve. I don't have a better photo of the new master, but look at my photobucket and you can see more of the first one I was running.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Yadkin Yadkin is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 11 2012
Posts: 1,910
Yadkin is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos291 View Post
Has anyone switched out their brake booster to a later/newer type brake booster. I have a 61 Tbird with original booster (rebuilt) and a dual master cylinder that was for a later model Mustang. I am not super happy with the rebuilt one and feel there might be a vacuum leak due to the way the car bounces while in drive and brake pressed. I can't seem to stop that movement so I think I could be the booster. Plus I am told it is not strong enough for converting to disk.
I think the 61-64 are the same brake system.

I converted to an aftermarket booster/ master with few issues, detailed here. I'm converting to discs this week, discussed here.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2016, 08:48 PM
ramos291 ramos291 is offline
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 18 2014
Posts: 66
ramos291 is on a distinguished road
Default bouncing

bouncing as in feeling the car moving up and down lightly sort of a rough idle if you will
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by bouncing?

When I converted to disc on my 58, I went all GM with the master and booster. It's a Corvette master, 7" dual booster and disc/drum proportioning valve. I don't have a better photo of the new master, but look at my photobucket and you can see more of the first one I was running.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 AM.

Driving, racing or working on cars can be hazardous. The procedures and advice on this website including the message board are opinion only. Squarebirds.org and its webmasters and contributors do not guarantee the correctness of the advice and procedures. The Squarebirds.org and its webmasters assume no liability for any damage, fines, punishment, injury or death resulting from following these procedures or advice. If you do not have the skills or tools to repair your car, please consult a professional. By using this site you agree to hold harmless the Squarebirds.org, its authors and its webmasters from any resulting claim and costs that may occur from using the information found on this site.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.