This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
The purpose of this pulley is to keep the belt OFF the water pump.
I never said the belt goes around the water pump. I meant the bracket gets bolted to the water pump housing. If he has the incorrect one that's what may be causing it to be cocked and the top mounting not to be lined up.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

John, I'm simply going by what I see in Stubbie's picture, and comparing it to the Ford Illustration.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Experienced

stubbie is on a distinguished road

Sorry Dave I obviously don't follow.

"You simply don't have it mounted w/correct spacers and bolts".

I have a bolt through the adjuster slot. Unfortunately I didn't have a long enough bolt for the hole that goes into the water pump but it has a bolt in there and the idler pulley is sitting flush against the bracket. Where do I need to put the spacers?

"The purpose of this pulley is to keep the belt OFF the water pump".

Realize this.

"Yes there are two sheaves on the water pump and two on the damper pulleys but if you put two belts on both, one belt will want to go faster than the other which causes heat, squeal and premature belt failure".

Why would I want to put two belts on both? Sorry I don't understand this.

"The solution is to run with only ONE belt riding on both pulleys".

I have one belt running the alternator and one belt running the power steering pump. There is a third damper pulley that will have one belt running the air conditioning.
Thanks
Old 12-20-2015, 12:13 AM

Unfortunately the parts diagram doesn't give a clear picture of how the idler bracket mounts to the water pump. You may just have to remove the bracket and remove the alternator and start from scratch. Try and get the bracket as even as possible so the idler pulley lines up with the crank pulley and the compressor. Then remount the alternator. I'm not sure where that oblong spacer goes but it should be obvious if a spacer is missing. It can only go between the bracket and the water pump. You can probably use some washers instead. If you can't get the bracket to sit even on the water pump you may have the wrong pump. The pump design was changed in 1965 so if you have a later pump that may be why the bracket doesn't sit flat. The idler pulley was moved to the other side of the water pump in 1965 and was part of the power steering bracket.

John

Old 12-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Experienced

John I think you are correct.
I think I've found the problem. It appears that the newer water pumps (that I must have) has a longer section out front on the left were the bracket attaches. This then sets the idler pulley at an angle. I think what is needed is either another piece of steel with a slot the same shape as the tension adjuster on the idler pulley to act like a shim or a spacer on the bolt that holds the alternator.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Try putting a nut or some washers on the alternator bolt to space it out. Then see if the idler pulley lines up correctly. If not you may need to get a little more creative.

John

Old 12-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbie View Post
Sorry Dave I obviously don't follow.

Quote:
You simply don't have it mounted w/correct spacers and bolts.
I have a bolt through the adjuster slot. Unfortunately I didn't have a long enough bolt for the hole that goes into the water pump but it has a bolt in there and the idler pulley is sitting flush against the bracket. Where do I need to put the spacers?

Quote:
The purpose of this pulley is to keep the belt OFF the water pump.
Realize this.

Quote:
Yes there are two sheaves on the water pump and two on the damper pulleys but if you put two belts on both, one belt will want to go faster than the other which causes heat, squeal and premature belt failure.
Why would I want to put two belts on both? Sorry I don't understand this.

Stubbie, this is YOUR picture. How many belts are common to both pulleys? I count two and they will buck each other if the pulleys are not exactly the same diameter or the belts aren't exactly the same. Refer to the Ford Illustration: ONE belt is common to both pulleys. (We've been here before with other members who wondered why new belts were getting hot, smelling bad and failing.)

Quote:
The solution is to run with only ONE belt riding on both pulleys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbie
I have one belt running the alternator and one belt running the power steering pump. There is a third damper pulley that will have one belt running the air conditioning.
Thanks
Yes, and how are they routed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbie View Post
...I think what is needed is either another piece of steel with a slot the same shape as the tension adjuster on the idler pulley to act like a shim or a spacer on the bolt that holds the alternator.
This picture explains why you need a spacer. John suggested washers (which work just fine) and to be creative in your fabrication. I agree. For a spacer, cut a length of water pipe to the exact length. Understand my post, now? Make sure your belts and pulleys line up.
- Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-30-2015, 08:28 PM
Experienced

Do you guys think it would be best to get the correct water pump instead of trying to correct the faults with this one?
If so there is one on eBay for sale at the moment. I would have to confirm with him some details as what is stamped on the pump is different to what is on the box in his picture.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REMANUFACTUR...lUdLfs&vxp=mtr
Old 12-30-2015, 09:30 PM

Just buy one from Rock Auto. It'll be cheaper than what he's charging and you get a 5% discount. Also it's new and not reconditioned.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg water pump.jpg (229.3 KB, 20 views)