This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:50 PM

ancientbird58 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine will run but dies at Idle

OK.......So I rebuild the carb......New fuel pump.......new gas tank..........start the car and it runs with the accelerator pushed in. It revs up nice..........but I take my foot off the accelerator and it flat dies. Even with the car warm and choke open............runs great.........dies when I let my foot off the pedal. Im hoping I did not get a "new" bummed out fuel pump...........any suggestions are welcomed
Old 11-20-2015, 09:58 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

You could have a vacuum leak. I would check the vacuum advance in the distributor. Other places where you could have a vacuum leak are the windshield wipers, power brake hose or carburetor base gaskets. Did you adjust the idle mixture screws after you rebuilt the carburetor. Do you have the fast idle and curb idle screws adjusted correctly.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-20-2015, 11:00 PM

After tinkering with the idle adjustment screws I could at least keep it running.........I think its just a case of letting the cob webs blown out. I checked for leaks........found none. After letting it run for about 45 minutes it got better and better. It kind of dies down when I put it in gear. I did take it for a quick spin around the block..........jeez I forgot how low to the ground you are........LOL.............It accelerated fine.......cut off once at a stop sign. Are there any vacume tubes to the trans????
Old 11-20-2015, 11:06 PM

I have a shop manual that has all the carb settings in it. Tomorrow when I have some better light I will do that. Im going to go ahead and replace the vacuum advance just for piece of mind. I think it may be the original one. Im sure the plugs need to be cleaned as well. Its been 5 years since its been on the road.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientbird58 View Post
Are there any vacume tubes to the trans????
There are no vacuum hoses to your COM transmission assuming that it's the original.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-21-2015, 02:38 PM

Thanks.......didnt think it did. Car fired up this morning and idled smooth.........but *&%*^$ !!! ........ran out of gas......