This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:17 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

If you haven't already done so it's probably a good idea to remove the valve covers and clean the valves, rocker arms and the head surfaces. I'm sure they are loaded with sludge. Also clean out the oil return holes on the bottom corners of the heads.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-04-2015, 05:28 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I'm with John... When these cars were new nobody used or trusted detergent oil. Consequently, the valve covers, timing cover, valley and oil pan accumulated terrible amounts of dirt.

Y-blocks suffered more than FE engines but both of them could be oil-starved from blocked passages without the owner knowing it.

Some of our members had to overhaul their burned out engines because their pickup screens were totally plugged when detergent oil was introduced. The detergent oil dislodged hunks of dirt from engine internals that made their way to the oil pan. Oil does NOT get filtered until it goes through the oil pump first. This is true for all engines because the pump produces flow for the filter to work.

Y-blocks and FE engines use the rocker shafts to oil the rocker arms and valve stems. Y-blocks kept their rocker shafts at atmospheric pressure so as the engine heated and cooled, the drip-method oil holes plugged with dirt. These V8s failed prematurely from oil starvation. They also had solid lifters that required periodic lash adjustment. Mechanics would pull the valve cover off to find the whole thing packed with dirt.

Cleaning your rocker shafts costs nothing but it takes a little time. It can be tricky if they are reassembled wrongly. You can follow the procedure in your Shop Manual. More importantly, take 100 pictures as you go. If you want to see my pictures, CLICK HERE. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Experienced

GeoffInCarlsbad is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Pan Gasket

Hi:

Yes, if I am in for a dime, I am in for a dollar. I am starting with the Oil Pan, pump and gasket replacement, and then moving on to the top of the motor, where I will clean up everything under the valve covers, but probably to straight to the intake manifold, whose gaskets needs to be removed and replaced with new ones, and a silicon agent front & back.

So, it's going to be one hell of a project. I am just planning out the stages, parts required, finding a cherry picker and stand, and off we go...
Old 08-05-2015, 12:57 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Geoff, my hat goes off to you for doing your own work. I don't know your 'work background' or your age but I believe 'wrenching' on your own car has many benefits. First hand experience demonstrates a deeper understanding of the mechanicals. If you 'partner' with a family member or close friend, the time you spend together can be therapeutic and rewarding; something you will both talk about for years. Take your time and share pictures of your project with us as you go because others will benefit. Ask questions! The Shop Manual is good but much of the details are vague and we have experienced mechanics who have done this work. They can fill in the blanks and are eager to help and so am I. If you get tired, stop. If I get tired, I find things are not going smoothly and I might start making mistakes. Resting on a problem and talking about it usually renders a solution before I start in again.

There are many talents required in restoring a car that very few people can do. For instance, I do not have a spray booth but I might have a walking foot sewing machine to make seat covers. Or, you may not be a body man but you can do all the electrical. The more work you do, the more that car becomes a part of you as you become a part of it. The final product gives a very rewarding sense of accomplishment and pride that transcends being an 'enthusiast'. Good luck and work safe.

For your project, I suggest you leave the oil pan off until the very end. If you clean the top and need to wash dirt down, or a bolt falls into the engine, having the oil pan off can be a big help. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-05-2015, 10:14 AM
Experienced

Default Oil Pan Gasket

HI Dave:

I agree. I am a software salesman by trade, but I am an engineer by training, so diving into a motor is right up my alley. I don't know what I am doing, but I will quickly learn! I like the top-down strategy, as it may be easier to get started at the top of the motor until I figure out how I can get the motor pulled.

Yes, the shop manual is a good reference, but it leaves a lot of vagueness and not a lot of good pictures of where stuff is. I have ordered a Ford Big Block manual that also is a good reference (I hear) and between you, JoPizz, and others, I know I will get the advice I need to make this a mechanically sound project. I can tackle just about anything except the trim and body work. I can read an electrical schematic and splice wires like the best of them!

So the next 2 months or do will be about planning (plus I have a vacation in there), then, when El Nino hits and it starts raining here, I will have lots of time to get 'er done for the spring!

I will be very active on here, plus I will be taking pics and videos of everything I do for my own sanity and publication to pay it forward.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Steve Christ's book on rebuilding Big Block Fords is a great reference. I've used it many times over the years.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Experienced

Default Christ's Book

Got it. Makes it look easy! LOL! Well, like I said, this is this winter's project!