This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Apprentice

Nicolas is on a distinguished road
Default Park brake cable replacement

Guys,

I need to replace the brake cable but I can't figure out the procedure. I would save a lot of time with a little guidance. I've been using the search section but couldn't find the answers I'm looking for.

My cable is broken at the junction with the lever under the car and is stucked in the guide.

I will try to replace it with a Lokar cable.

Nick
Old 06-29-2015, 04:18 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

I just had the parking brake assembly out when I changed out a steering column. Here is what I remember:
1. Remove the brushed aluminum wrap around plate under the dash.
2. Loosen the hand brake assembly from under the dash. There are 2 bolts holding the brake assembly, by the handle, to the bottom of the dash. Then there are 3 nuts that need to be removed from inside the engine compartment. The brake assy. should now be loose.
3. The brake cable is attached to the bottom of the car in 2 locations using a horseshoe shaped clip to attach it to a welded bracket. Remove the clips to free up the cable.
4. Remove the adjusting nut where it connects to the brake linkage.
5. You should now be able to slide the entire assembly out of the car by pulling it into the drivers compartment. There is a square metal plate that is attached to the firewall that covers the large hole where the steering column and brake assembly go through. I don't think you need to remove this plate for the brake, but if you there are about 6 screws attaching it to the firewall.
6. There is a slot in the shaft where the parking brake cable attaches to the assy., and once you get the slot exposed the cable can be removed from the shaft.
One final note. When you pull the parking brake assembly out, check the bracket that is welded to the shaft to see if it cracked or broken. I have found several that were completely broken and needed to be rewelded.
Nyles