This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:01 PM
Hobby mech.

DesertTBird is on a distinguished road
Default Generator to alternator conversion

Where can I find a detailed description with good pictures of a generator to alternator conversion for a 1958 t-bird?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2015, 04:25 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

If you look in the Technical Resource Library there are a number of articles on converting to an alternator. The link is under my signature. There isn't one tried and true method. I've used both Ford and GM alternators in my conversions. There's a link to a company called C.R.A.P. that makes a conversion bracket for 352's but you must use a Ford alternator. There are also generic brackets available that allow you to use any type of alternator. You can also fabricate your own brackets as others have done.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-25-2015, 06:12 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

David, if you decide to go with the C.R.A.P. mounting bracket, be aware that the early 352 engine blocks probably do not have an additionally drilled hole in the block to mount their bracket to. However, they do have an additional version of their alternator mounting bracket that takes care of that problem. A number of people on here have used their mounting brackets and they work great.

As for an alternator, you will want to get a three wire version, so that you can continue to use the Gen light on the dash. You might also want to get an alternator that handles 100+ amps in the event you ever want to add an electric fan behind that radiator for improved engine cooling. Or if you plan in the future to add other features to the car that are going to draw more amps than a 35-65amp rated alt... Just a few things to think about. If you do this conversion, you might as well go with the higher rated amperage rather than to have to change alts in the future.. IMHO..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 05-31-2015, 10:27 PM
Hobby mech.

DesertTBird is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. I knew someone here would have the answers I am looking for!

Being a rookie,I need allthe help I can get,lol
Old 06-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Apprentice

JamesBorisPerez is on a distinguished road
Default Alt. to Generator conversion

I looked into this quite a bit, I found someone on e-bay that sells a 65 amp unit, guaranteed to work on my 1960 thunderbird and with the brackets it's about $190.00, he sell a 90 Amp unit for about $290.00
Old 06-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Let us know what you work out. If you have pictures of your conversion that would be great.

There is an easy route but you will want to be sitting down when you look at the price.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/powergen.html

Eric
Old 06-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Experienced

Daleo56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
Let us know what you work out. If you have pictures of your conversion that would be great.

There is an easy route but you will want to be sitting down when you look at the price.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/powergen.html

Eric
I have two of the PowerGen alternators on my 56's and they work great. Yes they are expensive but if you want a stock look and mounting then they are the way to go.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Question

The engine bay looks nice & clean Tim. Not to get away from the subject, have you done any custom work in the engine bay as the Generator bracket sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm looking at the amount of adjustment. Just curious.

Chris.....From OZ.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Apprentice

JamesBorisPerez is on a distinguished road

The following is the e-bay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-59-60-6...fce0c1&vxp=mtr

I did a bunch of research, and I think this is the most frugal approach, but there are other, more expensive options that seem a bit better. I'm going with ebay when I do mine.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I've tried using a 10SI alternator with the existing generator brackets and it DOES NOT WORK. The lower bracket does not line up with the alternator and I had to make an adapter bracket. Also the bolt that they show is not nearly strong enough and the alternator will twist under load. I would not recommend buying this.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695