This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:19 AM
Apprentice

kimmc is on a distinguished road
Default problem with replacement window rollers

Last month I installed new window glass, weatherstripping, and all-metal rollers in our '59 convertible (see Donna's '59 resto-mod convertible). Yesterday I hooked up the window motors to check for smooth operation. Three out of 4 worked fine but the passenger side quarter window stuck after briefly starting down. It turned out that the cupped washer that slides along the track had been pushed through to the opposite side and the roller spring was causing the mechanism to bind. I figured there were a couple of possible causes; either the track had wide spot or maybe the cupped washer was of improper diameter. I removed the window today. The track was OK however the cupped washer looked to be the problem. While it was only fractionally smaller than the diameter of the track-riding part of the roller, the after-market cupped washer was considerably narrower and much less "deep-dished" than the OEM cupped washer. Each of the cupped washers on the new rollers was similar to the one pictured. I am salvaging as many of the old OEM cupped washers as possible and will put those on the replacement rollers, especially for the quarter windows. Pictures attached (the close-ups are a little out of focus...sorry).

#2 roller with cupped washer pushed to other side of window track and binding on spring
#3 roller with cupped washer in correct position and spring compressed
#5 concave side; new washer on left, OEM washer on right
#6 convex side; same arrangement as before
#7 convex side, lower picture angle; differences between new washer on L and OEM washer on R are clear; notice wear mark on old washer with plenty of width left to remain on the track.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg window roller 2.jpg (100.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg window roller 3.jpg (105.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg window roller 5.jpg (137.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg window roller 6.jpg (136.9 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg window roller 7.jpg (92.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 05-18-2015, 03:39 PM
Apprentice

This morning I got busy on my quarter window problem. I reinforced the rail as Nyles had done. For rail reinforcement I used 1/2 inch leg steel angle then drilled and tapped holes in the window frame for 10-24 machine screws. The exposed leg is on the outside of the frame as there is no clearance problem there. Also, I replaced the cupped washers on the new replacement rollers with the cupped washers salvaged from old rollers. Check out the picture of the new roller with the old cupped washer on it (on right) with the new roller and its cupped washer (on the left). It looks pretty clear to me that the modified roller will slide better on the rail. After some lunch I will re-install the window. Hope all goes well. Will let you know. I've attached pictures of the project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg window reinforc 1.jpg (124.2 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg window reinforc 4.jpg (84.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg window reinforc 5.jpg (83.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg window rollers compared.jpg (87.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg window reinforc 7.jpg (87.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 05-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

Were the rollers with the smaller cupped washers the steel ones offered by some of the small bird and squarebird parts vendors? I believe they sell in the neighborhood of 8.00 each. I was about to try some of them, but have been holding off.
Carl
Old 05-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Apprentice

Update: The quarter window is back in and working well. It travels up and down smoothly and the motor doesn't sound like it is straining. Fiddled with window adjustment but final touches will wait until the new top goes on next winter. If any of you ever remove old rollers don't throw away the cupped washer if it is useable. It may be a better piece than the one that comes with replacement window rollers. I'm saving mine in case I have a similar problem on another window.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:26 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Carl:
If my buddy John comes through, he will making a run of the "brass" rollers. These rollers would still need to use the original bevel washers. He is planning on making a run of 500-1000 rollers. He has the program set up for the CNC so now needs to get the materials and do the run.
I keep after him as I want to use these rollers when I install my windows.
Nyles
Old 05-19-2015, 02:26 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Ray, Can you please do a link to this or save this thread in the Technical Resource Library? I need to find this great ideas within a year or so

Great job Jim!!
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 05-19-2015, 03:35 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Done, Anders. I added it to the Window section in the TRL..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

I had this same issue with my 57 and used salvaged washers as well. Has anyone investigated using a flat washer, or a punch out from an electrician's punch

Post is edited. Just looked at Amazon and a punch like I was thinking of won't work because the ID will probably be too big as these punches require a draw bar to pull the dies together.

Any one have a heavy duty shim stock or sheet metal punch to experiment with?

Last edited by Joe Johnston : 05-19-2015 at 10:47 AM. Reason: electrician's punch won't work!
Old 05-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Apprentice

Note to thread: the rollers were from Casco I and about $8.50 each. I have not looked at rollers from other vendors to see if they have the same skimpy cupped washer. In my opinion, rollers with these washers are a potential problem. The Casco roller is a good piece (better than the OEM rollers in my opinion) as are the spring, flat washer, and hairpin. It's just the cupped washer that is a poor copy.

Ray: if you could determine who manufactures the rollers and make them aware of the issue, they could produce a correct cupped washer. Kim
Old 05-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Kimm, and all, you will be pleased to know that I contacted Casco to see who makes their all metal window rollers. It turns out that they do, as they make many other parts for our Tbirds. These rollers are not only used on Little Birds, Squarebirds, but also on the big Fords back then. Don, at the Bird Nest just told me that in '61, I think he said, or somewhere in the Bulletbird production, Ford switched to plastic rollers because they found that the metal rollers rolling in a metal window frame was causing metal on metal wear.

Casco asked me to send them pix of the OEM roller, which I will, and information regarding the problem ya'll are experiencing with their roller assembly. She said they have not heard that the cupped washer is not manufactured the same as the OEM version. I told her that what some of ya'll have had to do is to re-use the OEM cupped washer instead of theirs. They want to look into this and see if they can fix this. IF it turns out that they need to see an OEM cupped washer, what I would like someone to do, IF you can spare ONE OEM cupped roller washer, is to send one them. IF they need one to examine. They will let me know if they do not have any available and want one to examine. Kim confirmed in his post it was CASCO that he ordered them from. Joe's roller parts came with the car when he bought it.

I have checked the websites of ALL the major Tbird parts houses. The ONLY one I can find that manufactures and sells the metal window roller assembly is CASCO. All the rest who market them, market the plastic ones. That part # is 23240, whether in metal or plastic. I will let ya'll know what I hear back from CASCO.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 05-19-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Additional Information