This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Here's an update on the steering wheel.

I sent it off to Jed (Ca58tbird) and he did a great job on the split and gouges, finishing it with a deep glossy black. The stripe though, was an issue. He applied the mylar strip from Thunderbird Ranch, had some concerns about applying clear finish over it, so sent it back to me that way. When I got it the stripe had partially separated from the wheel. It looked awful.

He suggested I try the 1/4" stripe that we had found, made by Cowles Products Company, New Haven CT. The measured width of the grove is actually 3/16" so I was concerned if it would work. The material is some kind of white flexible plastic with a metallic covering so you can't just trim the width down. They make all different widths, 1/8" and 1/4" and a lot of wider stuff, but nothing in between. I looked everywhere and couldn't find another product that looked like it would fit better.

Before I ordered the 1/4" stripe I looked through the manufacturer's information and all that showed was a cross section (oval top and sides, flat on the bottom), with the flat, or adhesive width slightly narrower than the stripe width (no dimension given). Hoping that the flat was 3/16" I bought some ($15, O'Reilly's warehouse, next day to my local store).

It turns out that the flat is barely less than 1/4" but I put it anyway on and somehow it works. I'm not sure why it fits, but it does. In fact I think it looks better than OEM.

A little bit of chrome nail polish on the cut ends and it will be perfect.

Thanks Jed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080946.JPG (76.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg P1080945.jpg (349.8 KB, 100 views)
Old 06-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Super-Experienced

Ca58tbird is on a distinguished road

Steve, sure am glad that Cowles flex chrome trim molding worked out for you in the width. Looks much better than that thin flimsy chrome mylar stuff ever would have been. Guess the Cowles product is the way to go for any other Flairbird wheels in need of restoration. I have in my notes one other gentleman that has a '66 wheel in need of resto that I should write to about this new miricle product.
Thunderbird Registry #3810 VTCI#7652
Old 03-16-2015, 12:03 AM
Banned

http://cowlesproducts.com/cowles-cus...izing-molding/

4th one on the list: S37740
Old 03-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Experienced

stubbie is on a distinguished road

If you bought 20 foot Steve you could supply the rest of the forum with spares

Last edited by stubbie : 03-23-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbie View Post
If you bought 20 foot Steve you could supply the rest of the forum with spares
Sorry, I'm using it to trim the door cards on my '74 Fiat Spider.