This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:24 PM

shoebox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Did you take the wires off of the headlight switch when you had the dash apart. It sounds like the dome light wire/wires aren't connected. There are two different color wires that control the dome light; green-yellow and black-blue. I would check and make sure they are connected. The turn signal issue could also be a headlight switch issue. I would double check that all the wires are on the correct positions on the switch.

John
thanks for your response it seems that my quarry was not very clear. I do have a convertible and the dome light is the light under the dash which is controlled by the door switches. This light did work after installation of the dash but now something has changed and it is not working. So my question is is there a fuse that controls this light.

The second issue concerns the left turn signal dashboard indicator light. The turn signals all worked fine that is to say taillight and parking lights work with the turn signal indicator. The dashboard indicator light comes on as expected. However, the left dashboard indicator light also comes on when the parking lights are on. When the headlights are on IE headlight switch pulled out the dashboard indicator light goes off. So I am wondering if I have a defective light switch. When the dash was installed everything was checked initially and everything worked. The problem with the turn signal indicator light developed sometime later for an unknown reason. Is it possible that the headlight switch is shorting out in some fashion?

I will dive under the dash again and check to make sure that all is as it should be and report back. Thanks again for your interest and help.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

There is no fuse that controls the courtesy light. It's all straight wire from the door switches to the headlight switch to the courtesy light. There should be two wires connected to the bottom of the headlight switch. That's where the courtesy light wires are.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hl switch.jpg (141.8 KB, 61 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Two issues are going on:
There is a fuse for your door switches and courtesy light. It's the top fuse on the rear of your headlight sw. Power comes in B, goes to the fuse, and the opposite end of the fuse strap feeds D & A. You can see it in the following picture.

D is green/yellow
It feeds three switches; the two door plungers and the headlight twist switch. Any of them should turn on the courtesy lights.

Your Left Direction Indicator Light wire is green/white.
Follow this wire from the bulb and see where you attached it. The proper place should be to the green/white wire going to your steering column, NOT your headlight switch.

Wire colors can fade over fifty years. There isn't much difference between green&yellow and green&white. Also, know that two colors like green/white can mean, green with a white trace OR green wire with a white END. Different Ford vendors did their wire harnesses differently but kept the same convention. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-06-2015, 05:15 PM

Dave,

As usual you are correct. I had forgotten that the dome light post also connects to the top fuse.

John

Old 03-06-2015, 08:57 PM

shoebox is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information. The fuse looked ok, but I will replace it. Concerning the turn signal dash lite issue, I determined that it will go on with the parking lights only if the parking light is disconnected. With the parking light connected- the dash indicator will only come on with the turn signal switch as it should. Somehow current is feeding back to the dash indicator light when the parking light is not there to use it.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:42 PM

You have two wires that go to the left parking light, green-white is the turn signal wire and black-yellow is the parking light wire. I would check where they come through the driver side firewall and the parking light plug itself. They don't meet anywhere else unless they are shorted inside the harness.

John

Old 03-07-2015, 01:02 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
...That is typical of a bad ground at the Lamp Socket.
Check your grounds at the light sockets!!!
Did you do this?
Did you use a jumper wire connected to power and WATCH both LH front filaments, individually and then together?

If you don't have a big mirror, find a helper.

Are either lights dim?

Understand that both filaments ARE tied together and that electricity takes the path of LEAST resistance. That means, If you let the lamp socket hang ungrounded, the Parking Light current will feed back into the turn signal wire and go to the dash lamp that IS grounded.

Another problem can be inside the socket where the lamp shell doesn't make good contact with the lamp holder. Look inside. Is it green and nasty?

Use sound troubleshooting practices which include ALL of your senses. Your entire lighting system can be tested with the help of two simple tools; a 12 volt test light and a jumper wire with alligator clips on both ends.

Light bulbs are wonderful loads because they show a visual indication of the current passing through. LED test lights are NOT a good troubleshooting tool because they draw no load.

Your front lamp holders are in the weather and susceptible to corrosion. Lamp holders in modern cars are made of plastic and they have their own ground wire (3-wires in each socket). They do not depend on body ground. This should tell you something about the evolution in technology. If your lamp housing is poorly grounded, run a separate copper wire to a good ground or better yet, to the battery. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca