This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:36 AM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

I've never had to unscrew those to remove them. They were able to be slipped down in the fin opening after all the other nuts were removed. Replacement was just the reverse, and if they were loose the screw could be tightened to give a snug fit.
Carl
Old 02-26-2015, 03:19 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsetal View Post
I've never had to unscrew those to remove them. They were able to be slipped down in the fin opening after all the other nuts were removed. Replacement was just the reverse, and if they were loose the screw could be tightened to give a snug fit.
Carl
Itīs a screw in mine. At least in the top and in one corner. Then there is 2 nuts as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1466.jpg (47.4 KB, 154 views)
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 02-26-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

That little screw on the very top is a real pain to get loose or tighten. I got a long piece of all thread and used a piece of tubing for a spacer for easier access to tighten the nut on the all thread.
As for the screw itself, what I found is that the hole in the body is a little larger, almost oblong, than the head of the screw. I was able to keep the screw in the extension housing and twist it into place. Then you just need a long screwdriver to tighten it.
Have fun.
Nyles
Old 03-01-2015, 08:35 AM

Default Front hubs

Hi all, does anyone know how the "Tool T 56 P-1217-A" looks like? Or is there any other way to take the outer and inner bearing cup out? And in again?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.2 KB, 131 views)
Old 03-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Apprentice

pcjr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Are they original or repros? Can you take a picture and PM me a price? And do you have Pal Pal?
They are originals which were media blasted. I didnt use them as the shop that did the body modifications shaped metal to replace them. I will take a photo and send it off to you. PM me your email as I have had problems posting photos on here.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:43 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Hi all, does anyone know how the "Tool T 56 P-1217-A" looks like? Or is there any other way to take the outer and inner bearing cup out? And in again?
I must assume we are talking about the bearing race for the inner and outer bearings.

Wash all the grease out first, then wipe the inside dry with a clean rag and set the drum on a solid floor. Look inside the center hole and notice the bearing race closest to the floor has an area that is exposed and is shiny.

Races are pressed in place and they are case hardened.

I use a long mild steel rod on that lip, and hit it down with a decent hammer blow. Then do the opposite side of the same race. Go back and forth until the race 'walks' out.

Some European hubs have an inside slot for tool access.

Every new bearing comes with a new race but I only change them if the old one is bad. A good race should look shiny and smooth. It should fit tightly in the hub. A bad race my be discolored, de-laminated, pitted or loose.

For installation, grease the parts and tap the race back in the hole with a hammer until it stops. Make sure it's down all the way around. I have had hubs with loose races from the factory. After setting the tension with the nut, the wheel will quickly become loose again. So, I turn the wheel as I crank down HARD on that nut until nut motion stops. It's important to spin the wheel as you turn the nut. Then, back the nut off until the bearings are comfy but not loose. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-09-2015, 03:44 PM

In a attempt to save the bearings I have cleaned them out, and try to seal the area with a long bolt, washers and two pieces of plywood with rubber sheets in between the washer and the plywood, and the plywood - flange of the drum. On booth sides. Hope this stand the glass blaster and painting. Time will tell. Otherwise, I just change the bearings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.7 KB, 82 views)