This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Seat Covers & Data Plate Breakdown

Thanks to Howard having the 1958-1959 Canadian Ford Body Parts manual, I have been able to give Juhu a lot of information about his car, including the actual paint codes used to paint the car at the factory. I sent on to him a number of printouts that Howard sent to me, and last night found him sources for the Owners manual, Shop manual, Parts List, and the Wiring Diagram books. All available from Rock Auto for his 1959 Galaxie! He wanted to see if he could find some manuals and I did!

He said that he sent pix of the engine to Dave, so I am looking forward to see them when Dave posts them.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
...He said that he sent pix of the engine to Dave, so I am looking forward to see them when Dave posts them.
I put all the pictures in the same post. The engine pictures are at the end, after the data plate. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-03-2015, 12:06 PM

juuraslahti is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much to Ray and to Howard in turn. You guys have been very helpful in getting me to know my car and finding things i need for it. thank you again
Old 02-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
...Body type: 65A - Fairlane 500 Galaxie Club Victoria...
No, the model is either a Body Type 63A (Fairlane "500" Club Victoria) or,
Type 65A (Galaxie Club Victoria).
It cannot be a Fairlane Galaxie.

Certain 'rules' and options went along with each model.
The 1959 Ford 300 was a 'base' model with very little chrome, no carpeting and it was made for 'utility' service.

The 1959 Ford Fairlane (or Fairlane '500') HAD been top models for '58. 1959 Custom '300', Fairlane and Fairlane '500' roofs are identical and shared with Edsel models.

The 1959 Ford Galaxie was Ford's luxury full-size model. It included two-tone paint options that were unique to Galaxie and NOT available with the other models. The roofs were styled from the Squarebird roof lines, and the interiors were much nicer than Fairlane models. Galaxie was 'it' in full-size Fords.

Now comes the confusion. Our friend's car is a Galaxie Club Victoria. Nowhere on the car does it show, 'Club' or 'Victoria'.

The trunk lid says, Fairlane 500, which has nothing to do with this car. Both, 'Fairlane' and '500' are wrong and should not appear on any '59 Galaxie. Ford used the center '0' for the trunk key in '500'. So rather than spending money on engineering changes; new dies, more and different parts, Ford carried-over the 1958 Fairlane 500 trunk lid because it was beautiful, cheap and 'in production'.

'Galaxie 500' made its debut in 1960. Wouldn't you think that Ford designers could have changed ''Fairlane" script on the trunk lid to "Galaxie" and simply created the 'Galaxie 500' in '59 instead of waiting another year? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Seat Covers & Data Plate Breakdown

Unfortunately, it looks like Ford added to the confusion when they printed the 1958-1959 Canadian Ford Passenger Body Parts manual. What was posted was what Howard took right out of that book.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
No, the model is either a Body Type 63A (Fairlane "500" Club Victoria) or,
Type 65A (Galaxie Club Victoria).
It cannot be a Fairlane Galaxie.
I would tend to agree with Dave (simplyconnected) that it seems strange that "Fairlane" and "Galaxie" would be used in the same model name but if you look at the attached page from the Ford Canada 1958-59 Body Parts catalogue (PA-762-59, Revised Sept. 1959) it shows three "Ford Fairlane 500 Galaxie" entries coupled with their three "Meteor Rideau 500 Galaxie" counterparts:

Ford Body Type Meteor
Fairlane 500 Galaxie Town Sedan 54A Rideau 500 Galaxie Four Door Sedan
Fairlane 500 Galaxie Club Victoria 65A Rideau 500 Galaxie Two Door Victoria
Fairlane 500 Galaxie Town Victoria 75A Rideau 500 Galaxie Four Door Victoria

It seems to me that this repetition occurs too frequently to be typos. Could it be that Ford Canada gave these models slightly different names?

I think at one point the vehicle in question was referred to as a "Crown Victoria" - I think this is incorrect.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1959 Body Identication Chart.pdf (21.9 KB, 9 views)
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 02-04-2015, 01:34 AM
Slow Typist

Howard and Ray, my catalogs exclude Canadian Ford Cars (and every other non-domestic Ford car). I know US Ford cars had Victoria and Crown Victoria models in 1955 (with the 'Easter basket handles on the top). That name was used, then it wasn't, then it was, now it is not. Confusing? In recent history my daughter corrected me when I referred to a modern Ford as a 300. She said, "No, dad, the 300 is a Chrysler name." I chuckled.

So Howard, if your Canadian Ford book shows those facts, then that is what they are called in Canada, for sure. Holey Cow!!! The Canadian book shows the same body style number for two models! The LH side shows 'Ford' cars and the RH side shows 'Meteor' cars. If they are Mercury cars, why don't they appear under the 'Mercury' heading?

When I got to body style 65A, 'Meteor Rideau 500 Galaxie Two Door Victoria', that same body style number is also a, 'Ford Fairlane 500 Galaxie Club Victoria'. I wonder how the dealership parts departments ordered parts and kept them straight?

This document raises more questions but I will concede that Canadian Ford cars are different and US Ford names and categories do not apply to them. I also know that Ford of Canada started in 1903, in Windsor, ON.

Ray and I were discussing, how many '59 Fords were assembled in Oakville for sale in the US? Since Ford had 21 assembly plants, it is probable that 1959 cars assembled in Oakville, Ontario, were exclusively sold in Canada. Were they different? According to your Ford catalog there must have been some differences. US cars had no sequential engine numbers but the Data Plate says Canadian cars do.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

In 1965, Canada and the US signed an Auto Pact. Prior to the Auto Pact, both countries imposed tariffs on vehicles moving from one country to the other. As a result very few if any vehicles produced in Canada were exported to the US and only some luxury models such as Thunderbirds and Lincolns were imported into Canada - and at a very high price.

It is my guess that no 1959 Fords built in Canada were exported to the US and vice versa.

I bought my 1959 Thunderbird in Fort Collins, Colorado in 1974 and towed it home to Canada. At that time it was illegal to import a used car into Canada that was less than 15 years old. By 1974 the 1959 Thunderbird was 15 years old so I was allowed to import without a tariff but subject to sales tax. When I got to the border the Customs Agent asked how I paid for the vehicle and I told him $400, which is what I paid and I had a valid receipt to prove it. I told the Customs Agent that I thought I got taken. He took a look at the car, which looked rather beat up, and agreed with me - so charged me sales tax on $400. I quickly paid it and left quickly.

In 1975, well after the Auto Pact6 was in place, I moved to Indiana for a year. I decided to buy a new car at that time so I bought a 1975 Thunderbird in Canada for export, which I was allowed to do under the Auto Pact. At that time the Canadian dollar was trading at about $0.80 US but Ford transferred vehicles back and forth at par! Since I bought the car for export, I paid no Canadian taxes. And since Ford at that time was transferring vehicles back and forth at par, I paid the US price in Canadian dollars. I stayed out of Canada for 366 days to become a non-resident so was then able to bring the vehicle back into Canada as a settlers effect.

At the time the 1959 Ford in question was built, and I expect until at least the time of the Auto Pact, Ford made at least two vehicles exclusively for the Canadian Market - the Meteor and the Monarch. The Meteor vehicles use the same body as Fords but had slightly different trim, such as grilles, etc. Similarly Monarch vehicles used the same bodies as Mercury vehicles but with slightly different trims. The attached shows how Ford Canada showed different listings where needed to differentiate between vehicles made in Canada, in this case for both types of 1959 65A bodies.

At that time Ford Canada had two types of dealerships: Ford-Mercury-Lincoln and Meteor Monarch. The Meteor and Monarch marques were phased out some time after the Auto Pact came into being.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Body Parts Catalogue Example.pdf (41.5 KB, 6 views)
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341