This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Experienced

toddgilroy is on a distinguished road
Default Lower Ball Joint Options

Why do lower ball joint prices vary so much between the TBird vendors? Ranging from a low of $50/each to a high of $140/each leaves me wondering if there that much variation in quality/durability?

Any insight or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Thunderbird Registry #54651
Old 01-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I would ask where it's manufactured before I spent $140. If it's made overseas you might as well buy the least expensive one.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-21-2015, 10:48 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

As we all know, prices are all over the map for Squarebirds and any classic cars. One has to do due diligence when ordering parts. Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and time will tell if it was a good or bad purchase. Hopefully, we can all benefit from feedback on parts, good and bad. I would check who is actually selling the part and see if you are comfortable with the company. The majority of parts are now made in Mexico, Taiwan or China. Napa Auto admits that their parts are made in China, but claim they closely monitor and QC the parts. I've always been pretty comfortable with Napa parts.
Good luck and let us know how things work out.
Nyles
Old 01-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddgilroy View Post
Why do lower ball joint prices vary so much between the TBird vendors? Ranging from a low of $50/each to a high of $140/each leaves me wondering if there that much variation in quality/durability?

Thanks!
I would try to get Moog joints first if they are out there. I can't remember if I was able to find them when I did the ball joints on our 58.

If the only source is from a specialty house and that company won't tell me who makes the part when I ask, I go elsewhere.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:41 PM
Experienced

I found Moog upper ball joints at a reasonable price from Rock Auto, but it seems the only lower ball joints the traditional auto parts stores carry are made by Rare Parts and are in the $140-$170 each range.

Any experiences with Rare Parts parts?
Old 01-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Here is a MOOG Lower ball joint on EBay for $60 + S/h. You might contact seller and he if they will combine shipping costs on 2 parts.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOG-LOWER-B...p=mtr#shpCntId
Nyles
Old 01-22-2015, 03:40 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Lower Ball Joint Options

I just spoke with Rare Parts http://rareparts.com/ regarding their company. Their company manufactures a lot of parts for our Tbirds in house. Or they get them from other major parts manufacturers. They specialize in shocks, struts, steering, gear, pump & components, suspension, springs and components. They also can manufacture parts in those areas of their expertise. They do not market things like interior parts, carbs, chrome parts, etc.. They have upper and lower ball joints, suspension parts, by Moog, McQuaid, and TRW, and much, much more. Many of the automotive parts houses, like O'Reilly's, Autozone, Napa, Advance and others, get their parts from Rare Parts. So if you were to go to one of them to get upper ball joints they are probably going to come from Rare Parts. They have been in the business for some 30 years and they said that if they don't have a part, they can match it, make it, or repair it! Take a look at their website, and look through it to see what all they have.

NOW, for the great news! I just got Squarebirds.org a 5% discount on ALL Rare Parts orders. When you order from them tell them that you qualify for the car club discount as you are a member of Squarebirds.org, the 1955-2005 Tbird Forum.. I just set that up for you!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Experienced

Ray - Thank you for working that discount.

Nyles - Thank you for looking, but it looks like that ball joint on eBay is for 1967-72 Tbirds.

I did find some Rare Parts lower ball joints on Amazon for a little better price.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Experienced

Daleo56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddgilroy View Post

Thanks!
I am seeing the same difference. I see that Concours Parts has lower ball joints for $50, and Thunderbird Headquarters has them for $60 while Macs, Summit and even Amazon have the ball joints for $153.00!

Rare Parts has quite a selection of parts Thunderbird parts however their prices are crazy high if you buy direct. I can find their parts on Amazon for up to 1/3 the price. The Rare Parts lower ball joint 10112 which is $133 is only $98 on Amazon which is a little better but I am sure there are equivalent lower ball joints out there for around $50.

It might be that most suppliers use a OEM style ball joint and that is why the price is high. For my use I just want a good ball joint and do not care about original design.

I will keep checking with this post to see if another lower ball joint link is posted.