This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:18 PM
Apprentice

Thunderherd is on a distinguished road
Default Some questions and comments

Plan on doing some more mods on my 59 this spring. One thing is the disc brake mod. I'll join the paid member grope soon, but till then, my car has no power assist options. So, no bracket for the power brake booster. What do people usually do. Just use a master cylinder for discs designed for no booster? I also want to convert/design something for power rack&pinion steering. Was going to just keep the standard steering, but have just been diognosed with severe arthiridus in my left shoulder. Saw a post where this was done, along with mention of installing a 5.0 Coyote engine, but post must be to old for the pictures to show up. Just showing a question mark there. Are those pics available somewhere? Did he ever get that swap done? And, I'll try to get with my daughter soon to get her to post some pictures for me .
Old 01-01-2015, 07:20 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Jimmy, pictures on our site only show up for Paid Members. Pictures from another site will show up here because we 'link' to them. I strongly encourage you to donate to our site because the benefits will far outweigh the cost.

I read your credentials from the shock absorber site. You have great experience and it looks like you can do your own fabrication.

Power Disk Brakes; can be done if you make your own firewall bracket. Let me back up. Years ago, I took it upon myself to get a power disk brake system for Squarebirds, at a decent price. I had help. After all the preliminary trials, Howard Prout made the first successful brackets, 'hockey stick' and clevis setup. Basically, the bracket raises the booster 5" and pulls it out from the firewall 5" so that the shift levers on the steering column clear. We use a two-stage 8" booster and a 1" bore dual master cylinder. Howard has a 430 engine and air conditioning which is the 'worst case scenario'. Howard Prout and Yellowrose (Ray Clark) have been using those brackets for about three years

http://ssbrakes.com/ used to sell kit #c-624171 on eBay for a lot of money but they stopped. In my estimation, it was too costly but hey, for extra money it was bolt-on. They would not sell the firewall bracket without the other components.

For the front wheels, we use Scarebird brackets that hold S-10 calipers over 11" rotors. Ray and Howard are running 14" stamped steel Granada rims on those calipers. There is a lot more to this story that we reserve for our membership because they have contributed so much to the project.

Power Rack and Pinion Steering can be done as well. It eliminates a lot of steering gear that gets in the way of exhaust pipe and header issues. Again, use the existing bolt holes from the steering box and idler arm, to hold your own brackets and bolt on an existing R&P gear. Any modern pump works well, hydraulic fittings are A N, and your original steering shaft can be used. Borgesen double-D fittings and heim joints come from Speedwaymotors.com., over the counter. The setup is clean with one high pressure line and a low pressure return. I did this to our '59 Galaxie and it really shines in tight parking lots. I also did the power disk brake swap because my spindles are the exact same part numbers as Squarebird spindles. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca